Tank cleaning help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually I read it wrong went back to lfs nitrates at 80ppm and put supplements in it and the guy at the fish store said it will go back to normal in about 24 to 48 hours:))

80ppm is still really high. There are no 'supplements' that truly remove nitrates. Prime or Amquel Plus help to bind them. Water changes remove them & plants use them as food-thats about it. Two 50% water changes should drop them down to 20ppm. Water changes can solve alot of fish problems- no chemicals needed (except for water conditioner). :)

Oh really we'll I thought nitrates is normal to be at 40 ppm or under or is that nitrites

Ammonia & nitrites should be zero. Ideally, nitrates should be 20ppm or less. Some species of fish (and fry) are very sensitive to nitrate levels. You want to keep them as low as your tap will allow for optimum health.

Hey I did a water change today and it was ok for ahwile now it's starting to get cloudy again how come

Its because your tank is cycling again. Bacterial blooms dont go away in 24hrs or after a single water change. Stay on top of your water changes until your tank re-establishes itself. You still really need to get a test kit so you can monitor your water parameters on a regular basis. :)

Sorry!!! I just read back through your thread again- you did get a test kit. My apologies! Ok- what exactly are your readings for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate right now?

Nitrate went down to 20 ppm ammonia 0.25 but that's how it is out of the tap and nitrites are 0

Thanks! Thats a big improvement. You will just need to have some patience & stay on top of your daily tests & water changes until your tank re-establishes itself. What type of water conditioner are you using? Are you adding any other chemicals to the tank?

Is it bad if my fish tank has 0ppm of nitrate of so what should I do?

Hey my tank is still the same as before I did water changes and in a couple days its back to the way it was idk what else to do nothing's working

Do you mean its back to being cloudy? How do your water parameters look? Bacterial blooms can tank awhile to resolve themselves. Theres not much else you can do in the meantime other than water changes & wait for your tank to rebalance itself after the filter change.

Back
Top Bottom