Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank cleaning help

Hey guys I have a 10 gallon tank just cleaned it 25% water change and new filter cartridge but water is still cloudy no algae on the side of the tank just cloudy why could this be after I just did a water change 2 days ago? Any help
Thanks justin

Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

How longs the tank been set up? if its a newer tank it could be a Bacteria bloom

Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Its likely a bacterial bloom. In the future, you should not be changing out your filter cartridges- they contain the largest portion of your good bacteria. Just simply swish them in some used tank water. You want to keep them until they are literally falling apart. How do your tank parameters look?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well maybe that's why cause my fish store said just change them out every month when u do ur water change so keep them ahwile? Cause I cleaned the water it was fine for about a day out new filter and been like it ever since
Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Yes, your lfs will tell you replacing the cartridges monthly (or weekly or whatever) is necessary. Its not & it will throw your tank back into a cycle when you lose all the good bacteria. If they are carbon filters, you can dump out the carbon & stuff them with filter floss (polyfill) or you can replace it with a filter foam insert (sponge) instead. Your tank is now cycling again. Do you have an API test kit?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh really see but I don't have one of those fancy filters or anything I got one of those packages from petco and the filters called an aqueon filter I don't even think u can refill them and no I dot should I?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I have a couple of aqueons so I am familia with them. The cartridges are garbage & fall apart rather quickly. But theres alot of 'empty' space in them. Get a box of aquaclear 70 filter foam inserts & cut them to fit in any empty space in the filter. Mine are completetly filled with these. Since you just changed the cartridge anyway, throwing it out is not going to make any difference right now. You will need a test kit though to monitor your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph because you are now back into a cycle & you will need to do frequent water changes to keep your fish healthy.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok will do so what does filling in any empty spaces do? And now that my waters cloudy what should I do get a test kit and just keep changing out water? And if so how many days should I wait in between
Old 03-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Filling the filter with sponge stuff (filter foam inserts) gives you maximum room for good bacteria to grow on for a healthy tank. Yes, you need a test kit so you can monitor your tank. There are fish/shrimp/some kind of living creature in it, correct? If there is, you are now beginning a fish-in cycle that will hopefully be a quick one because theres already some bacteria in substrate/decor. A couple of water changes should help clear up the cloudiness in the meantime but you will probably need to daily water changes until your tank recycles itself & bb grow on the new filter media. Heres a link for fish-in cycling- ask any questions you may have!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright I'll get that thanks so much and just 25% a day right ?

Tags
clean, cleaning, tan, tank cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com