Tank cleaning help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlow115

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I have a 10 gallon tank just cleaned it 25% water change and new filter cartridge but water is still cloudy no algae on the side of the tank just cloudy why could this be after I just did a water change 2 days ago? Any help
Thanks justin

How longs the tank been set up? if its a newer tank it could be a Bacteria bloom

Its likely a bacterial bloom. In the future, you should not be changing out your filter cartridges- they contain the largest portion of your good bacteria. Just simply swish them in some used tank water. You want to keep them until they are literally falling apart. How do your tank parameters look?

Well maybe that's why cause my fish store said just change them out every month when u do ur water change so keep them ahwile? Cause I cleaned the water it was fine for about a day out new filter and been like it ever since

Yes, your lfs will tell you replacing the cartridges monthly (or weekly or whatever) is necessary. Its not & it will throw your tank back into a cycle when you lose all the good bacteria. If they are carbon filters, you can dump out the carbon & stuff them with filter floss (polyfill) or you can replace it with a filter foam insert (sponge) instead. Your tank is now cycling again. Do you have an API test kit?

Oh really see but I don't have one of those fancy filters or anything I got one of those packages from petco and the filters called an aqueon filter I don't even think u can refill them and no I dot should I?

I have a couple of aqueons so I am familia with them. The cartridges are garbage & fall apart rather quickly. But theres alot of 'empty' space in them. Get a box of aquaclear 70 filter foam inserts & cut them to fit in any empty space in the filter. Mine are completetly filled with these. Since you just changed the cartridge anyway, throwing it out is not going to make any difference right now. You will need a test kit though to monitor your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph because you are now back into a cycle & you will need to do frequent water changes to keep your fish healthy.

Ok will do so what does filling in any empty spaces do? And now that my waters cloudy what should I do get a test kit and just keep changing out water? And if so how many days should I wait in between

Filling the filter with sponge stuff (filter foam inserts) gives you maximum room for good bacteria to grow on for a healthy tank. Yes, you need a test kit so you can monitor your tank. There are fish/shrimp/some kind of living creature in it, correct? If there is, you are now beginning a fish-in cycle that will hopefully be a quick one because theres already some bacteria in substrate/decor. A couple of water changes should help clear up the cloudiness in the meantime but you will probably need to daily water changes until your tank recycles itself & bb grow on the new filter media. Heres a link for fish-in cycling- ask any questions you may have! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Alright I'll get that thanks so much and just 25% a day right ?

This is where a test kit is so important. It will give you an idea of how much & often do to water changes. If your ammonia or nitrite is reading .25ppm (or higher), you will need to do a 50%wc to drop this lower. For example if your amm/nitrite reads 1ppm, a 50%wc would drop this down to .50ppm. Another 50%wc would drop this further to .25ppm. If your using a product such as Prime or Amquel Plus, they will help limit the toxicity of amm/nitite for a period of @24-48hrs up to 2ppm. Just make sure you use temperature-matched (match new water temp to tank water temp), properly conditioned water for your changes & you will be fine! :)

Alright thank you I just bought a complete API water tester so I'll let you know when I do it and what all of its at

Sounds good!!! Make sure you follow the instructions & really shake & bang the nitrate bottles on a hard surface before testing- the reagants can clump & will give an inaccurate result if they are not well mixed. :)

Alright thanks so much for the help!:)) I'll let you know but I can just do all the test at once right lol

Ok so I took the test had people look at it to agree some but here they are
Ammonia level 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate which I don't agree with ppl that are saying it but they say it look 160ppm I know is high
Ph 7.6
High range ph 7.4
Ammonia and nitrate are high I know I put biological supplement in that lfs said to get and they said don't feed fish till clouding goes down what do you think

Water changes, water changes. That nitrate reading should be 20ppm or less. Test your tap water as well for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. The nitrate level of your tap will be the lowest number you will be able to reach. You can feed the fish but keep it light- a tiny meal 1x a day (what they can eat in less than 2min).

Alright and what do I do if my tap waters high buy water ?

Nope, lets see what it reads. Most of us have nitrates in our water & its no big deal though there are a few exceptions. Its important to know what your tap has in it so you know what you are putting in your tank. :)

Actually I read it wrong went back to lfs nitrates at 80ppm and put supplements in it and the guy at the fish store said it will go back to normal in about 24 to 48 hours:))

Back
Top Bottom