Tank cleaning Horror Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some people shouldn't have an aquarium at all ....

So i head over to my bosses apartment to help him with an issue. He is looking after his roomates aquarium that has a single fish in it, a black shark. He tells me that every time he goes near the bottom the tank just gets all cloudy from when he flicks his tail.

I think to myself, sounds like your roommate (who i also know) needs you to clean the gravel. So i gather up my gear and head on over to his apartment Friday after work. I walk into the apartment and i smell something kinda funky and blame him for passing gas, well was i ever wrong. He denied doing the nasty and then shows me the tank he is looking after. My jaw literally dropped about 4 inches agape. It wasn't him, it was the water that was so nasty.

The water literally had a brownish/yellowish tinge to it, the algae on the side of the tank and few ornaments was aweful and then i saw what i thought was sand. Boy was i wrong. What i thought was 1/2" of sand on top of the gravel was actually fish detrius!!! At this point i nearly fainted because of the aparent neglect of the tank that the owner of this fish had. I mean when there is 1/2" of fish poop on TOP of the gravel, that is just absurd. Then the fish proceded to swim and took one swipe of his tail and it was a cloud of crud that encompassed the tank. This made my jaw drop in shock again. (now comes the worse stuff .... yes it can get worse)

So I immediately start by doing a 60-70% water change to get the more severe crud out of the tank. Then i proceed to refill the tank. This was like putting one more hole in swiss cheese, it didn't make a whole lot of difference. So, once it was refilled, then i prceeded to do a scrape of the algae that was all around the tank. It wa a good thing i brought the actual metal scraper and not the brushes. The brushes just would have been tickling the algae with the amount that i took off.

Once the algae came off (and in strips i might add) I proceded to do another water change and more of a deep cleaning. I took out about 85-92% of the water this time. I left in just enough water in one pit that he made so that his gills were still wet for a short time. I took out ALL the decorations that were in the tank because they were literally covered with even more algae and crud/fish poop. Even after placing them in a bucket of fresh water, it started to release the buildup on them. Just to give an idea of how much was on her ornaments, the green silk plant that she had in there was brown and had buildup that was about 6mm thick on the leaves. Once i fished hauling out and cleaning the ornaments, i proceded to clear out the bamboo skewers that were in the bottom of the tank as well as, get this, the cover to a HOB filter that wasn't even part of the tank. I have no idea where it came from. It also looked like there was a braclet of some sorts with gold colored plastic cubes that was in the tank but obviously destroyed as the gold cubes were all over the tank.

By this point i am cursing and swearing and telling my boss that she really shouldn't keep a fish if this is what she does to them. After cleaning and refilling the tank this time, it is like a new tank already. The fish is even active and moving around compared to just laying there when i fish walked into thier door. Then i moved onto the filter .....

By this point, i thought nothing would shock me until this. I take the filter out and almost puke because of the funk that is coming from it. The filter itself was missing the bottom part of an intake tube and was the size of an aqua clear mini. The missing filter intake tube would have been useful as there was a plastic plant lodged inside the remaining intake tube. This plastic plant was so poop and sediment filled that it weighed about 5 oz for a plasic plant that, once everything was removed, weight MAYBE 3/4oz. The inside chamber of the filter was so clogged with detrius and crud that the motor stopped working and was just barely moving. The filter floss bag that had some carbon in it was so full of crud that i didn't think there was anything left to the floss. Luckily i was wrong and was able to clean off the brown floss back to a whiteish coloration. I looked inside the motor housing and there was so much sludge that i wasn't surprised that the motor basically stopped working. Luckily the lack of movement didn't burn the motor out and all was good (once i gave it a good cleaning).

So, by the time i am finished you can see a noticeable difference in this persons tank and also you can tell that there was still some detrius in the tank, but i will get that next week (if i can).

Now, for the most shocking. This black shark was the lone fish in a 20-25 gallon tank!!!! What makes it worse is that the shark itself was about 14" long!!! This tank is ONLY about 20" (maybe 24") long. For a fish that gets upwards of 20" it was aweful. I could tell signs of deformity as well as some bacterial problems on a cut that it recieved from being in the tank. So off to the store we go to get her some meds for the bacterial problem.

I told my boss to tell his roommate to come see me when she got back from her extended vacation so i could personally smack her up side the head and better educate her so that she knows to get a bigger tank, a bigger filter, actually put a heater in the tank (did i forget to mention that there was absolutely no heater; mind you the ambient temperature was around 75F) and how to do a gravel cleaning.

I later find out that all she did was take water out and then put water in. I wouldn't be surprised if the fish didn't know what fresh water was when i put it in the tank. So after a few drinks, we actually see the fish swimming around the tank and actually being more active (even with the severe lack of space for the fish.)

now to go out and buy a set of brass knuckles to pummel on the roommate and teach them how to keep a proper aquarium ........

I hope that no one ever has to run into a tank THAT aweful EVER!!

I think I would have been tempted to steal the fish and just leave the brown water. The roommate might never have noticed.

Good for you for doing that. I hope you can educate her, but it sounds like she has no natural affection or care for the fish. How sad.

Poor fish. Good for you taking the time to clean it that well. It must have taken some serious time to do it! Hopefully the shark will be ok. He obviously hasn't a clue what clean water is. I just don't understand some people. Too bad you weren't able to get before and after pics. They could go into a sticky on what not to do with your tank!

Seeing tanks like thay make me want to puke. My brother is the same way. Sadly, I am the one that sold him the tank. He let me borrow his Python because it was long enough to reach my tank in the living room. 3 months went by before he even asked for it back because he said he needed to do a water change. When you open the hoods, decaying fish food is stuck to the plastic and it is growing mold. Not to mention fish laying dead in the tank for days at a time. And I'm not talking Tetras. I'm talking big African Cichlids. *sigh* There is only so much that you can do.

That is just sad. Hopefully this woman will treat her own kids better. That is a shock that the shark was still living. My husbands cousin has a 10g only half full with water and 3 fish. She says she never adds to it or cleans it and the fish have been living like that for over a year. I told her that if she didn't have it in better condition the next time I visited I was fishnapping them and bringing them home with me.

Yeah, you might want to research Old Tank Syndrome. The cleaning could've killed him, but since it would have died right away, it looks like you got lucky. Good job fixing the tank though!

Just a quick update ... The fish is active like you wouldn't believe. infact my boss was woken up by the fish jumping and slamming into the glass top of the tank.

O____O POOR FISHY! >_< Congrats to you for taking on the challenge of that tank...that sounds totally DISGUSTING

Good for you for doing that.... Why would people do that. Are you going to try to do some thing about the 14"fish in the 20" tank situation. Though now that i think about, theres probably not much you can do..Worth a try though. Again great job!

Good to hear that the fish is more active. Hopefully you can find someone to take him so he can have room to be active! That fish is probably so grateful for when you walked in the door.

People like this need to be forced to live in a sewer pipe! I can't imagine how one could be so lazy or ignorant that they accepted this kind of living condition for that poor fish.

That's just awful, I'm sure writing about it here only conveys a portion of how bad it was. I'd ty to find it a new home before the owner gets back and just tell them it died (if you can get your boss to go along with it). Absolutely amazing that it was still alive.

And for the person that said something about "Old Tank Syndrome", great... something else I never heard of and now have got to research :p

Our neighbor that lives across the street has a tank that is similar to the one you described. It is a 55g that currently has a very large pacu and a great big goldfish in it. The water is so murky you can hardly see the fish. We have been trying to talk him into selling us the tank, but to no avail. I hate knowing that those fish are over there suffering all day every day.

Back
Top Bottom