Tank cycled, bettas added FINALLY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikipike

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have been out of town for a week. Water parameters are now where they should be & my plants are looking alright (thats another story for the planted forum :? )

Went out & bought 5 ghost shrimp as I was completely flipping out over how my tank looks right now. Thinking back I probably should have put them in QT (can shrimp transfer disease/parasites to fish?)

After floating everyone, I added the shrimp first. They went on about their merry ways & eagerly went to town on all the icky stuff.

Added the 5 female bettas second, ordered by who I *thought* was the least to most aggressive.
I sat & watched for about 20mins w/ the light on & went I left I turned it off. Have been in there once more in the last hour to make sure no one has been seriously injured.

Very fun to watch them! They remind me of hens, everything is fine for a few minutes then someone gets into a squabble with another. The youngest (4mo old DT) who I was the most worried about appears to be doing the best since she's faster then the others & staying out of everyone's way (plus she's black & I think blends in better in the dark.) Neither female (2 grizzles) that I thought was going to be promblimatic has been, infact the other 2 (brown multi & yellow) have been starting more of the fights & chasing the others.

Will check them again before I go to bed & keeping my fingers crossed everyone will survive till morning.

Pictures to come tomorrow.

Hopefully all will do well. Don't freak too quickly if some get torn tails. My white girl bite a hole right down the middle of my purple girl's tail, all the way up to the body, then she stopped and now its growing back fine and they get along great. The little one was getting bitten for a whole week, but it was never anything serious, just the tail.

Everyone looks good this morning :D

Have seen at least 3 of the shrimp so thats at least 3 out of 5 shrimp that definately haven't been killed.

The ladies look much better then I thought they would. Only a couple have slightly nipped fins & 3 appear to have untouched fins. Less flaring going on. Everyone is begging for breakfast now :lol:

Back
Top Bottom