Tank cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I've been doing pwc and dosing prime. My water seems to be clear but there is a white film on the walls of the tank that make it appear to be hazy. This does not seem to go away with the wc. Should I scrub it off? Also I've been using a gravel vac to do wc because the pet store recommended me to is this okay?

The white haze is most likely biofilm/bacteria build up from cycling. It should go away on its own once the tank is cycled. You can wipe it off the glass if you want to. Gravel vacuums are good for getting fish poop/debris out of the gravel, but since you are trying to build up the beneficial bacteria right now I would wait to do gravel vacuuming until you are fully cycled. It won't hurt much but will just make it take a little longer to cycle because beneficial bacteria live in your gravel (and filter). Then once you are cycled many people vacuum only half of their gravel at a time to avoid getting rid of too much beneficial bacteria.

Thanks for all your help guys! I got my test kit today and my ammonia and nitrite level are both reading 0 ppm! My nitrate level is reading about 10 ppm! So excited!

Back
Top Bottom