Tank decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my lfs is running a sale a 75 gallon Aqueon with clear silicone is $146.00 a Marineland with black silicone is $162.00 I know I can find tanks cheaper than what they are charging but I really want to contribute to a lfs instead of going to warehouses/used (that I'll have to re silicone) I know Marineland is the better tank but is black silicone an eye sore for appearance?
3 reasons I only want a 75 gallon instead of larger
#1 the stand my 55 gallon is on, I can't move.. its a 1912 buffet so it's really old and a show piece for my dining room
#2 I don't really have the money to go bigger right now + I'm agoraphobic so I wouldn't be able to go issue and make a stand
#3 the silicone on my 55 gallon has a bunch of algae growing under it and I'm worried about it leaking and ruining all the hard work and money I have into the tank.

I don't know that much about the quality of tank and manufactures etc., but I'll just say that I've been looking into getting a 75-125 lately myself, and have read quite a few people saying that they've had marineland tanks start to leak after 6-12 months. With that said, maybe that's because they set it on a 24" wide end table... (see it on craigslist all the time) lol Who knows but I'd just figure I'd throw that out there.

Rick, my 120 display tank is a Marineland w/black silicone. It's been up and running for over a year. No problems. I got it at Petsmart for $300 w/stand. It was advertised that twice the required silicone was used, for what that means? It's held as much as 200 lbs of rock plus gravel, again no problems. Even the generic black particle board, plain Jane, flimsy looking stand has held up fine.
I just completed a major scape redo. I'll take a quick cell phone pic and post it on the "Show me your tank" thread, asap, and let you be the judge.
I like the black silicone.

Rick, my 120 display tank is a Marineland w/black silicone. It's been up and running for over a year. No problems. I got it at Petsmart for $300 w/stand. It was advertised that twice the required silicone was used, for what that means? It's held as much as 200 lbs of rock plus gravel, again no problems. Even the generic black particle board, plain Jane, flimsy looking stand has held up fine.
I just completed a major scape redo. I'll take a quick cell phone pic and post it on the "Show me your tank" thread, asap, and let you be the judge.
I like the black silicone.
My tanks probably 15-20 years old, I'm just worried about the silicone where the algae is growing under it, and 120 gallon for 300 why can't I find those deals lol, I want a 125 bit the buffet won't hold it and I don't have another space for it, after I get the new tank I will re silicone the 55 and put my convict into that tank and get him a girlfriend

I am all Aqueon . I would pay more for one...Just look over whatever tank you get like hawk in the store.. Look at caulk joints ,frames ,glass edges...I have seen some pretty wracked tanks at $per gallon sales...
58 tanks most Aqueon...couple Deep Blue recently but for their foot print..
This on caulk color..I know of no reason why one color would be better then another but Deep Blues use black caulk [LOTS] and they are notorious leakers ....
I have a couple old O'dells with clear caulk...We will see if the Deep Blues last 35-40 years ..:whistle:

I am all Aqueon . I would pay more for one...Just look over whatever tank you get like hawk in the store.. Look at caulk joints ,frames ,glass edges...I have seen some pretty wracked tanks at $per gallon sales...
58 tanks most Aqueon...couple Deep Blue recently but for their foot print..
This on caulk color..I know of no reason why one color would be better then another but Deep Blues use black caulk [LOTS] and they are notorious leakers ....
I have a couple old O'dells with clear caulk...We will see if the Deep Blues last 35-40 years ..:whistle:
My tank is a very old tank to the point they couldn't even get the right glass lids and had to be specially cut lol, the thing with this tank is it has to be ordered so there's no way to really look it over so that's why I'm leery ill take a picture of my silicone and you all tell me if I should be worried as much as I am.

It is not as bad as you think...The part that counts is still 100% in force.. It is in between the two joining pieces of glass that matter..Where you have algae is just an eye soar IMO..

It is not as bad as you think...The part that counts is still 100% in force.. It is in between the two joining pieces of glass that matter..Where you have algae is just an eye soar IMO..
Will the algae work it's way into that joint? Yeah it's ugly lol, and dem I just noticed in the pictures I have algae starting from the new ferts grr, so I should be okay until I can actually see a new tank in person before I order and pay for one? And if so should I look for customer trade ins or have one made there's an aquarium custom tank shop in my area

If or when the algae could get in that part it would be leaking...
I don't think you are in eminent danger of the silicone failing...
Just find a deal on a tank you like [new] that you can see and get it when possible..

Bandit, makes a good point regarding Aqueon. If I'm not mistaken, Aqueon bought out Oceanic, which IMO was one of the best aquarium makers. My 19 y.o. 65 gal Oceanic is still up and running.

Bandit, makes a good point regarding Aqueon. If I'm not mistaken, Aqueon bought out Oceanic, which IMO was one of the best aquarium makers. My 19 y.o. 65 gal Oceanic is still up and running.

Central Gardens is taking over the pet industry...
They acquired ;Aqueon , Coralife ,Kent , Interpet , Oceanic ,Segrest Farms ,TFH ,and Zilla. On the other side of the company they make lawn fertilizer and pestacides [ Pennington ]...
https://www.central.com/our-brands

Okay cause my lfs was saying Marineland was the better of the 2 maybe just trying to get more money but it's 20 dollars more, they always have used tanks and stands I could get and reseal if the silicone is shot on them, I missed out on a 250 gallon with an oak stand and canopy for 450.00 about a year ago, I've never resealed a tank but watched many videos and it don't look to hard

Back
Top Bottom