Tank, filter and plants questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking to buy a larger tank, but I'm a bit afraid of tank leaks. Which brand/type do you recommend as being the most "leak proof"? Have you ever had your tank leak?

About filters, which brand/type do you recommend? I currently just have a 10gallon tank that has the filter that came with it. It's a Top Fin HOB power filter 10. I have a puffer in the tank, so I would like to know if current filtration level is sufficient.

Finally, what kind of plants would do well in low light brackish environment?

And one more, do you unplug your filter and heater when you do water changes?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I am looking to buy a larger tank, but I'm a bit afraid of tank leaks. Which brand/type do you recommend as being the most "leak proof"? Have you ever had your tank leak?

About filters, which brand/type do you recommend? I currently just have a 10gallon tank that has the filter that came with it. It's a Top Fin HOB power filter 10. I have a puffer in the tank, so I would like to know if current filtration level is sufficient.

Finally, what kind of plants would do well in low light brackish environment?

And one more, do you unplug your filter and heater when you do water changes?

Thank you!

Just go with a typical brand. A tank will leak due to something being wrong with it, before you buy it ask to see it filled up and watch it for awhile to see if there are any leaks. Check that the top braces are secure, check the silicone around the whole thing. If there are a lot of bubbles or spots missing, you'll need to strip the silicone with a razor and redo it. If a tank leaks, most likely it won't bust open and flood your room. You'll notice the leak and be able to come up with a solution before it causes damage. I've never seen a tank leak, and given the number of people on here and the very few amount of legitimate "my tank is leaking" threads, it's safe to say it's not a major issue.

Filters for a large tank you'll want a sump or canister, do research on them. As for the ten gallon you have, what kind of puffer? Puffers need excellent filtration so I would upgrade from the little filter that comes in the kit and get a higher rated HOB or a little canister rated for a larger tank.

Plants really depend on your SG. Low end brackish like 1.005 I know anacharis and Anubias can survive in. Online, other people report that watersprite, crypto. Ciliata, java fern, and some Vals worked in their brackish setups.

Edit: Oh it's you. Hopefully this is a bigger aquarium for the puffer you have in the ten gallon, if so, good job. If not, let the puffer have it.

Java fern, hornwort, water sprite, Anubis nana, and jungle Val can all live in brackish water.

I would worry more about the external filter and tubes than your tank, if they leak over night you will need waders........lol

Thanks for the replies. I am in the middle of a medical emergency right now. No time to read the forum, but I just wanted to acknowledge your replies and say thank you.

Thanks for the replies. I am in the middle of a medical emergency right now. No time to read the forum, but I just wanted to acknowledge your replies and say thank you.

Ahhh thx for the heads up hope it all goes well.

Above the plants/salinity already mentioned the only thing that will grow are mangroves.

For a larger tank how big are we talking? Any name brand like Aqueon (AGA), Mainland, DSA, Oceanic or Fluval will be good. I personally think Marinelands Silicon job is a little spotty esspecialy with the back silicon.

I got a used Mainland 150g XT for $250 off crags list and its held up fine.

For a filter I would recommend an AC110, or a Fluvial canister, I got an FX6 for mine and its a beast, they come with real nice mounting options for the hoses on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom