tank/fish in trouble? need some quick help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turbovr6

Aquarium Advice Regular
To make a long story short,,I cycled my new 150gal for 6 weeks using shrimp. I seemed to have all my spikes and everything leved off. I put in 5 gouramis 1 week ago. Now for the past week my ammonia has risen to 2ppm,nitrites stayed at 0ppm, and nitrates stayed steady around 4ppm. I have done 25-40% water changes 2 times, but the ammonia keeps rising.
A few things,,,, when this was first discovered I added "ammo lock" to the tank. Could this be causing false readings?? Also when I did theese water changes I also did a gravel vac. After some searching it appears I should be leaving the poop in there??

I need some advice quick as I am doing a 50% water change as we speak. I have 3 choices for an additive tonight as I change the water.
ammo lock, stress zyme, or stress coat. which should I use? we have a bit of an ice storm here, so I can't get out to the store for any other products.
I forgot to add the fish are eating the same and just as active and playfull as when I first got them.

THANKS!!!!!! :D

The ammo lock can give you false readings. I would quit using it, keep doing your water changes and everything should level out. I would only use dechlorinator. I find that Prime works the best. If you can't get out to the store what are you using for dechlorinator?

I've been using the stress coat. On the bottle it states it "removes cholrine and neutralizes chloramines".

Oh should I vac the bottom of the tank, or just leave it be?

'I'd leave it be if there isn't a huge amount of gunk on the bottom. Stress coat is fine for a dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom