tank good enough for bamboo shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmolly

Aquarium Advice Freak
i've got a 10 gallon tank with 6 glo-lite tetras in it. my parameters are 0 amm. 0 nitrite, and 10 nitrate. it's filter has been established for 6 months, and the tank is about two months old. (recently setup the tank, but the filter's had been running on my 29 for months) i saw one in the LFS the other day, and was wondering if they would work well with RCS and glo-lites. also, i was a bit curious how they might do with bolivian rams as well, as i have one that kind of has a "summer" home in there lol. i was curious if i could add one, but i understand they are filter feeders and need established tanks. does anybody have any advice about these guys? the filter is an AC30 on maximum flow.

IMO, no. They are just too difficult to feed since they are obligate filter feeders. They tend to starve in smaller tanks without a fair amount of supplemental feedings. Even then, I do not recommend then for anything under a 29g with lots of flow for long term. Here and there, I have heard of some success with them in smaller tanks, but it honestly seems pretty rare.
Just a note though. I keep them with rams and have never had an issue, but it all depends on the temperament of their tankmates. Some fish will scare them into hiding and then they will not get enough to eat because they hide all the time. Also, some fish will peck them to death. You can't necessarily predict how it will go, but they are not as speedy in the get-away as some other shrimp, so you have to be cautious. Mine do fine with my angels/rams/tetras and other fish in my 40g, but other people say the other fish just attack the bamboos all the time.

Back
Top Bottom