Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartosbartos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so i done my weekly water change today and then tested my water i have noticed that my nitrates are sitting on 10 - 20 ppm and my ammonia level is sitting on about 0.175. I have been having the ammonia been a little higher then 0 for the last couple weeks but i have just been changing the water to control it. However iv never ever had nitrates show up in my tests so im a little concerned now as the levels have taken off in the last week. Can anyone give me some advice ?

2nd round of tests

2nd Tests

Ph: 7.4
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm - 10 ppm
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

I done a 30 - 35% water change today should i go do another straight away or wait a few hours and test again ?

Wait, and test again. If the ammonia goes above 0.25, do another pwc.

The nitrates are good news for you, as it means your beneficial bacteria are turning ammonia to the less toxic nitrate.

Have you had any nitrite?

Stating in an oversimple way, fish produce ammonia, and beneficial bacteria turn it into nitrite and then nitrate.

In a pefectly cycled tank, you will show no ammonia or nitrites, and nitrates less than 4.

The nitrates are good news for you, as it means your beneficial bacteria are turning ammonia to the less toxic nitrate.

Have you had any nitrite?

Stating in an oversimple way, fish produce ammonia, and beneficial bacteria turn it into nitrite and then nitrate.

In a pefectly cycled tank, you will show no ammonia or nitrites, and nitrates less than 4.

Hello again mudraker.
Nah i have got any nitrites in my water the level is sitting at 0 ppm
ammonia is 0.25 and nitrate is 5 - 10 ppm but iv never seen the nitrate levels before i have seen the slightly higher ammonia.

Hey guys so what's going on is I had to move houses today and the idiot I am I didn't check the tap water before I tipped out all the good fish tank water.
So now my problem is I have high ammonia 1 ppm to 1.5 in the tap water. I have put my fish in new water in a 20l bucket for now with no ammonia in the water. As for my main tank iv dosed it with prime. Easy life and complete water treatment trying to get it back under control. This tank has been set up for 6 months or so well established. I am going away for a week I'm getting good ole mum to keep checking the water for me to see if it keeps dropping while I'm away. So please help me lol ! The ammonia has slightly dropped to 0.50 ish at the moment but I'm still worried. Thanks heaps guys

Back
Top Bottom