Tank Infestation: small swimming eggs and some white worms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDuJour

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP!

My tank all of a sudden is infested with these small (.5mm?) roundish striped egg looking things that have some small legs sticking out one side used for swimming. There are LOTS of them in the gravel, and a bunch are floating around the tank having a grand old time. The "shell" is split down the middle allowing the thing inside to stick out those legs.

In addition, I noticed only a few very small tubular white worms about the same size as the egg looking things. I imagine this is related.

I am preparing a hospital tank (10 gal) that I will move the Jack Dempsy and Convict to. I have added Maracyn2, Jungle Parasite Clear, CopperSafe, and Aquarium Salt to the hospital tank. May be overkill, but I've searched the net for a few days and can't pin down this pest!

Note that before moving the fish, I did add aquarium salt to my 30 gal tank. The little pests died off like I dropped a neutron bomb. some are still moving.

See attached pic of the small shelled creatures.

What are these things and what is the best course of treatment?

How do I sterilize the tank?

Will they come back?

Are they aliens?

HELP!!!!! and thanks!

A Question... How often do you do water changes? Do you siphon out your gravel? White worms are a common sight of a unclean tank. They live and grow in your gravel, mainly from your fish's waste and bacteria. A few won't harm your fish but you need to clean your gravel.

I'm not sure about the egg things as I have never seen those, but my guess is that they are similar to the white worm. Let us know how things are!

I would just clean the tank or add some medication like melafix it seems to kill off every worm.
even though its not made for it..it seems to work nicely of ridding worms :)

No, the tank is not very clean. :^( Maybe this is my wake up call.

It's been about 16 hours since I nuked the tank (after removing the fish) with the above medicines plus a huge dose of salt. Only a few of those little egg things still moving, can't find any worms. It is like Mars or something. Tomorrow I'll drain and sterilize the tank and get it ready for the return of my two fish.

What is the name of this white worm thing so I can research it a little?

You think it is related to the little swimming eggs? Could I have two infestations not related to each other?

A dirty tank is the reason for your worm problem. After you drain the tank, make sure that you siphon your gravel when you do your water changes.

As for the name of the white worms....I think that they are called "white worms" :D Or atleast that is what I have always heard them called. Still not sure about the egg thing as I searched also and can't find any info on them.

Try this article: Small tiny white worms on glass and in water for more information.

If you find them again, don't worry, they wont harm your fish and there is no need to panic. Just means that you are overdue for a tank cleanin' :) Good luck and let us know how things go!

Fish are still in Hopital Tank, still alive. Haven't fed them since I put them in there, they are kinda freaked out.

I was thinking the little swimming egg things were Argula (Fish Lice). They didn't get to the stage yet where they were on the fish, as far as I can tell. I just don't know what they are.

Whenever I do clean the tank, I siphon out the gravel. I switched to new food about 2 months ago (floating sticks) which seem to be especially dirty for the tank. The fish I guess are not eating it, so it builds up. Not that Cichlid flakes were that much cleaner.

later!

theres alot of good clean foods out there for your fish its just a matter of searching the good ones ;)

some large ghostshrimps would be a great add on for your left over foods.

Are ghost shrimps known to eat small fries? (Say, just born platy fries) I am debating whether to add some or not.

Another concern is, I hear they are escape artists. Since my breeder tank doesn't have a cover, I guess the best thing is to leave the water below certain levels from the top of the tank. Does anyone know what would be the appropriate level?

Apprecaite any feedback...

The little egg-shaped things are most likely some type of freshwater crustacean...and are most likely harmless. They do not appear to be 'fish lice' (Argulus). Many freshwater crustaceans, like amphipods and cladocerans (which include Daphnia) are common in aquaria...especially when there is plenty of food for them. Unfortunately they have shells that are hard enough that many fish can't (or won't) eat them. I've seen Paradise Fish, Macropodus opercularis, and various types of cichlids eat many types of these relatively harmless pests.

The worms you describe are NOT related to the crustaceans but both thrive under the same water conditions....that is....with plenty of decomposing food in the substrate. Most likely they aren't dangerous to your fish either but they are an unsightly nuisance.

thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll keep you posted on how the fish do.

The fish in the hospital tank seem to be doing ok. I am cycling back up the 30 gal tank, so it won't be ready for a week or so.

great news on your tank-

just wondering if walt whitman ever heard of the bowfin, grenal, or shortnosed gar-
more commonly named- pondfish or dogfish :)

somewhat toothy north american freshwater that looks prehistoric/labyrinth like and can eat about anything and live about anywhere.Becomes "dog sized" as well..lol
*shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom