Tank is going well...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GGIII

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
But, really. This started out exclusively as a "snail help" thread, but then I actually bothered to look around and, well, all my questions got answered... except...

My tank has 5+ small snails which I believe to be of the "pond" variety.

I'd love to have a fish to eat these small snails and sort of nip the problem in the bud.

I have a 29G tank that is heavily planted with low-light plants. It currently contains:

2 Rainbow Shark
1 Featherfin Catfish
1 Black Ghost Knife
De Znailz

So, my question is threefold:

1: Do I have enough space for some snail-eating fish? (Gouramis?)
2: How many of the above fish?
3: How many fish should I max this tank out at, based on what I currently have?

All that in mind, I do actually want snails. I can't stand Plecos (of the attainable (read: affordable) variety as they're dirty and grow huge) but still need some algae cleaners. So, if I bought a larger species of snail that is less virulent and destructive to my plants, would the loaches bother it (based on size alone. The current snails are minute.) If you think the snail would be safe I'd love to hear some suggestions!

I know, I know... I want to kill the snails but then I want more snails. I really am a lost cause.

I am thinking that the black ghost knife will get waaaaaay too big for your tank. You might want to look for a bigger tank for him before you start stocking with other fish.

HTH

These max sizes were looked up under fishprofiles.com
2 Rainbow Shark - (2 x 6")
1 Featherfin Catfish - 8"
1 Black Ghost Knife - 19"

Total = 39" of fish

That already seems like a lot of fish, or potentially large fish.

I would not add any more fish to the tank. Instead, to rid yourself of the snails you could do what people told me here in this board; to place a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight and apparently the snails will come to feed on it, an you can scoop them out in the morning.

I have also been told that loaches will not bother with larger snails.

Side note: You don't want a pleco 'cause it will grow huge......what do you think that ghost knife is going to do?

There is small almost dwarf spices of plecos you can add to the tank. Rubber lips is one and I beleave there is a bristal nose Albino that only grows to 3 to 4 inches. They would work great for your tank or even otto's. But the knife fish is going to out grow your tank and fast and some get very aggrasive to other fish the older they get and will even eat smaller spices.

Hmm, that's no good. I was told he wouldn't get above a foot or so.

Damn...

That's no good...

You see, I can't get a bigger tank. I can only have a 25G in my dorm and I pushed it to 29G.

Looks like I'll be starting a tank at home, too. MTS setting in. =p

><

I completely agree with the advise to quickly find the Ghost Knife a new home. He needs a minimum of 100 gln. tank and preferably larger. Right now he's being stunted and I know you don't want that for him.
Also Rainbow sharks need to be kept either one per tank or a larger group in a tank. Having just a few together will cause aggression to each other as they get older. See the site: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/sharks_eels_loaches/shark_rainbow.htm for some great info on them.
A possible snail eater is the Kuhli loach. You could easily have two or three in that tank size. The concern would be if the catfish would be aggressive toward them. Someone else might have personal experience there.
Good luck in figuring out how to do the best for your fish and take care of your snail issue.

My Rainbows actually appear to be doing quite well together. At first they were quite agressive and territorial but, since I added the two new fish, they've calmed down and will actually sort of "watch each other's backs."

As for the Ghost Knife, I'll do my best to get a new home for him. Last ditch is to set up an AQ at home. I'm currently about to move to the college dorm so the new tank would be an option around September...

Update:

My girlfriend might take the Ghost Knife and one Rainbow Shark off of my hands.

She's going to set up an old tank she has. Says it's much larger than my 29G, so we'll see.

So, with those two large, predatory biomasses gone, I gotta think about what fish to replace them with.

IMO to "replace them" you should go with a school of the smaller barbs (Cherry or Angola would be my first picks). They should compliment the rainbow shark well, however I would max them at about 4, or get 2 pairs of each. Either I'm oblivious or I just havn't seen the pair of rainbow shark and gourami, and I can understand why these fish prolly won't get along (big egos!). All of the above is based on research I've done so I may be wrong, if so put me right!

Back
Top Bottom