Tank is UP AND RUNNING! Questions and pics...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like FF says, when your amonia goes down, add ammonia to bring it back up to 2ppm. When you start to see nitrites, cut your ammonia dose in half at least. You will likely find that pretty soon the ammonia goes to zero within 24 hours despite the daily half dose of ammonia. When the ammonia and nitrite goes to zero in 24 hours despite daily doses of ammonia, you are ready to do a water change and add fish. How many fish? Good question. I would start with 25% of full bioload, but others may recommend less.

edit for clarification: wen you see nitrites, you are no longer interested in maintaining the ammonia at 2ppm. Because you have nitrites, the amonia eaters need only be fed enough to keep them alive and growing. They do not need the high level of 2ppm for this.

ok, so I got impatient and tested for Nitrites, which of course was nothing. So i will maintain the 2 ppm of ammonia until Nitrites occur, then I will stop adding the ammonia. Do I stop at the first trace of Nitrites, or when it hits a certain number? What will the nitrites max out at? Thanks for all your help, i love just using the kit I am such an aqua jock.

Back
Top Bottom