Tank just for Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Areos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again AA!!!
I'm planning to set up a 50g tank just for tetras (the small ones though, like neon, cardinal, serpae, rummy, bs as, etc etc etc). I really love them all, they look so nice swimming in schools and have such nice colors! :D.
My favorite are the long fin serpaes but i've been reading they can be troublemakers, anyone have experience with them?
Do all the tetras get along well?

thanks a lot!

Never had experience with Serpaes, but I've read the stories about how nippy they can be. I would house them with fast swimming tetras and avoid other long finned tetras.

Rummynose tetras would be a good match IMO, since they are fast moving.

I wouldn't have too many types and have high numbers of the ones you choose (maybe 3 schools of 8-10). :) Should make for an active tank.

I had a 40gal with 15-20 serpeas last year. They aren't as bad as you might think. I wouldn't house them with slower moving fish though. IME they liked to chase each other around a bit but it looked more like play than aggression

I have 6 red serpeas in my cummunity tank with fish like guppies and neons and they never pick on anyone but each other they like to chase each other through the plants.

With serpaes I find the more you keep the better they are. When in larger groups they tend to be less aggressive. They can be nippy when their groups are smaller. I think a tetra tank would look just great.

Back
Top Bottom