Tank just won't cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good evening everyone!

I have had a tank set up since June 16th, and I haven't really gotten any progress on cycling. I am not sure why. It's a 5 gallon Fluval Spec V. I didn't know much of anything when I set it up, so I planted it. There are 3 amazon sword, 4 water sprite, 3 anubias, and a lonely java fern in the tank. One of my amazon swords is browning and dying, tho, so I'm gonna take it out. I have been adding a wee bit of flourish and API co2 booster daily, and I upgraded the light to a Current Satellite Freshwater LED. I try not to leave it on too terribly long, just enough for the plants, but not enough for algae to get a hold of the tank.

I read this thread about fishless cycling and have been at it since June 16th. I have been using pure ammonia from Ace Hardwarde, and dosing up to 4ppm per the instructions. It takes several days for the ammonia to drop even a little bit. I dosed ~3 days ago, and as of today it is 1 ppm, and I have 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. I have never had nitrites/nitrates show up. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but some help would be awesome! I really want to get my betta!

Could be you missed your nitrite spike readings, and your water sprite is consuming all nitrates in the tank. If ammonia dosed to 4 ppm is gone in 3 days I'd guess your cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could be you missed your nitrite spike readings, and your water sprite is consuming all nitrates in the tank. If ammonia dosed to 4 ppm is gone in 3 days I'd guess your cycled.

It's not gone yet, though, it's down to 1 ppm. My understanding was that it wasn't supposed to be any higher than ~.25ppm.

My water sprite HAS grown a tremendous amount since I got it, so...maybe? I am totally new to planted tanks, so I'm not sure really what to do. I haven't had a fish tank since I was a young teenager, and even then, I didn't do it right, lol. I just learned about cycling when researching the best tanks for bettas. Heh.

It's a small tank with small filter, it would take a lot for a proper stock of fish to create 4ppm ammonia in that tank. If it's down to 1 it's going somewhere, and Water Sprite lives on nitrate so if it's growing they are there...

It's a small tank with small filter, it would take a lot for a proper stock of fish to create 4ppm ammonia in that tank. If it's down to 1 it's going somewhere, and Water Sprite lives on nitrate so if it's growing they are there...

So do you think it would be okay to add a betta? I was going to get a betta and a ghost shrimp. What should the ammonia be at when I add him?

And your correct <.25 is dangerous to fish. A big water change would be used to reduce anything greater than that.

Let it reduce a few more days on its own, then I'd say your good!

And your correct <.25 is dangerous to fish. A big water change would be used to reduce anything greater than that.

Wait less than .25ppm is dangerous or more than? I thought more than was dangerous.

You should let the ammonia zero out before adding the betta and shrimp. You can let the bacteria eat it on its own, or you can speed things up a bit by doing a water change.

Typed that too quick! Greater than is dangerous...

How large of a water change? I need to do one anyway just so I can get the dead amazon sword out of there and try to scrub what little algae I have around the anubias plants off.. Plus my light keeps evaporating my water lol so I'd be adding in more anyway. I'm excited! I can finally get my fishy!

I would say from 30-50%. Re-test after an hour and if ammonia is low enough head to the pet store! Just be sure and keep testing, once stocked, and stay on top of clearing out plant debris(turkey basters are great in small tanks) and not over feeding!

Back
Top Bottom