Tank leaking.... Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I bought a used 55g tank earlier this year. It had been resealed and although it wasn't done very well it was still functional and held water. The problem came when I noticed a encrusting brown growth on the side of the tank in an out of the way place which smelled STRONGLY of ammonia. At the time I assumed it was something I missed cleaning when I got the tank and cleaned it off but now the same growth is appearing on the front of my glass. At this time there is also some algae growing underneath the seals so it is only a matter of time before the tank springs a leak.

But is it possible that the tank is actually presently leaking ammonia? There's no animals in the house that could have sprayed the side of the tank nor do I use anything but water to clean the outside of the tank.

So these growths are on the outside only? Is the tank empty at the moment? How very odd! It does sound a bit like cat-pee spray, although that has a very distinctive musky odor, you'd know if it were. No chance you have a visiting tom sneaking in?

If there was a whiff of ammonia there already, that could trigger a cat to spray there. But it doesn't sound as if that's what's happening here.

Nope, the only animal in the house that's not aquarium related is a boxer that couldn't pee that high up if he wanted to and there's definitely no chance its a cat sneaking in.

Yes, this tank is full atm.

This is on the outside of the tank ?

You must rinse well tank before U use it...

I did rinse it well. The tank has been set up for about 7 months now and its just now forming on the glass. Yes its on the outside.

Maybe there's a lot of humidity at there ? Is your tank water very very cold ? If tank water is colder than room air, water and maybe algae on long term will form on the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe there's a lot of humidity at there ? Is your tank water very very cold ? If tank water is colder than room air, water and maybe algae on long term will form on the outside.

Tank is running 80 degrees and my house runs 60 - 65 right now. It's also very dry. I'm losing about 3 - 5 gallons weekly through evaporation. It's definitely not condensation as it has a super strong ammonia smell.

Tank can't leak ammonia... It will leak water, but not ammonia. Maybe there's rats ?

Clean your tank, make it smell better, wait, then see if it start smelling again... Anyway if your tank were leaking ammonia, your fish would have been dead for a long time...

Ammonia from a tank is odorless... Ammonia smell come for sure from urea, that can come from a human of animal. Do you have a brother what's a sleepwalker ? One of my brother already poop in the shower, and in the morning he didn't remember anything... Maybe you're sleepwalker ?

Tank can't leak ammonia... It will leak water, but not ammonia. Maybe there's rats ?

Clean your tank, make it smell better, wait, then see if it start smelling again... Anyway if your tank were leaking ammonia, your fish would have been dead for a long time...

Ammonia from a tank is odorless... Ammonia smell come for sure from urea, that can come from a human of animal. Do you have a brother what's a sleepwalker ? One of my brother already poop in the shower, and in the morning he didn't remember anything... Maybe you're sleepwalker ?

heh nope no sleep walkers here nor are there any rats :) If it was me peeing on the tank then there would be a much bigger mess... My bladder doesn't hold a small amount of fluid :whistle:

The picture I posted is one that just showed up over the past few weeks so it's a new thing. There is one on the side of my tank that is a bit larger and has been reappearing since I set the tank up. My only thought it that I am using heavy amounts of fertilizers containing ammonia in my substrate that could somehow be seeping through. Other than that there's nothing in the house that really could have contributed to it.

It appears that something got spilled or was in the plastic frame and just now is growing mold or some kind of reaction between the silicone glass and plastic.

Back
Top Bottom