tank lids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok. i just bought new glass lids for my 55g. in the back is a plastic insert that i can cut to make my filter fit. basicly what i need to know is how sealed can or should my tank be? should i cut this just big enough for my filter and air tubing or should i give it room for my tank to get air and let water evaporate?

I think you can cut it in as tight as you want. It is not going to be air tight regardless of what you do. If you have a hang on back filter, it will exchange plenty of air with the surface of the water. Mine is squeezed in tight, and fish and plants are healthy.

Mine is tight. In fact I just cut slits at each end of where my filters sit and bent the platic up so it covers the front of the filters.
Nothing is air tight, plus you get plenty of air in there from the airstone as well.
I wanted it tight because I have some creatures that will leave the tank if it is not.

...you get plenty of air in there from the airstone ...

This is the main reason I even use air stones. I too want the lid to be relatively tight, to cut down on evaporation and avoid escapes. So even though I have a low bio-load, I still use air stones in all my tanks, just to ensure there is PLENTY of fresh air at the surface of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom