Tank Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I just came home to find that my tank light had burned out on my 20g. This is the first time it has happened so I have no idea what to do. What kind of bulb do I replace it with? Companies/manufacturers? Does anyone know how much the hood bulbs cost?
Any info about what I should do is well appreciated.

Aces11 said:
Well I just came home to find that my tank light had burned out on my 20g. This is the first time it has happened so I have no idea what to do. What kind of bulb do I replace it with? Companies/manufacturers? Does anyone know how much the hood bulbs cost?
Any info about what I should do is well appreciated.

Depends. What brand is your hood, and what bulbs is it made for?

The hood and light say "All Glass Aquarium" I'm assuming its the name of the company. It's a 15w bulb I believe. Idk if that's a lot or a little. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image-1212070474.jpg
    image-1212070474.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 50
  • image-453532967.jpg
    image-453532967.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 54
You should be able to find a replacement at any LFS. It is a regular T8 bulb, just be sure to get the right length.

Just take your old fluorescent tube with you to your LFS, and they'll find you a new one. That looks like a 18" T8, it should cost you around $5 to replace.

Just turn the tube about 90 degrees and it should slide out.

Ok I figured out how to get it out. I'll check the length later. What exactly does T8 mean?

Well I got a new bulb. It's the ZooMed Tropic Sun 5500K Daylight bulb. It looks more like sunlight rather than just a white light over my tank, but it looks good.

Attachments

• image-2775919671.jpg
    image-2775919671.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 51
Yeah they are made for reptile tanks for desert reptiles, should be pretty bright! Lol

It is pretty bright, but it looks good. Zoomed was the only brand of tube lights they had so I really didn't have a choice. The box said it lasts 10,000 hours so hopefully I won't be needing another any time soon!

They recommend replacing them after a year because of the amount of uv emitted slowly gets worse, but as your not in need of the uv radiation, you shouldn't need to replace it then, so should last a while for you.

Well put simply reptile bulbs are designed to give off a certain type of uv radiation, UVB and UVA so that the reptile can metabolise its food, and grow and retain its bone structure.

Ok well either way wouldn't hurt your fish, the sun gives off the same radiation, so they wouldn't be at risk, apart from maybe a sun tan, lol. :p

Back
Top Bottom