Tank Lights.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am aware of alot of activity between my puffers is at night time. How will I be able to view this ....

Do I need to buy a night light ....

If So what are they called so i can do some research.

Thank you.

Often called "moon lights" they are LED lights that allow you to view nocturnal behavior without disturbing diurnal fish. Look in our DIY forum as these are relatively easy to construct, or you can look at your LFS for them. They are available through online aquarium product dealers here but I don't know what is available for you there.

somebody here has some for sale.. i think $14 shipped for like 10 led's 10 resistors and the power supply.... dont remember the name right now but i'll check in a bit and get back to you..

I have read references to ledwerx.com but that site appears to be down. They had the $15 kit you are talking about.

There should be plenty of online retailers for personal computer modifing parts.. and cold cathode is a staple for moding personal computers.. not to mention it looks better then LED's IMO..
I would order some blue cold cathodes and mod them to my hood if I were you.. (cold cathodes are another option for moonlighting.. the light is better dispersed then with LED's in other words less bright spots) HTH

I second the cold cathode idea. When you buy it you get everything assembled. All you need to do since you aren't putting this in computer is supply the ac to dc transformer. Cold cathodes run on 12VDC but so keep the light level down you can run them off of 9VDC just fine. When you purchase the cold cathode I would also get some PSU power connectors to hook onto your transformer so you don't have to cut and splice.

Go here for some good documentation on how to do the cold cathode moonlight.

Just a quick check of some places I frequent for computer mod parts shows single 12" tube ccfl (cold cathode) for $5.95 and dual 12" for $8.95. Here's a link to one company (very reputable) that I have used Sidewinder Computers.

I'm going today to get a 9VDC transformer. I've got 2 blue cold cathodes ive got laying around... I'll probably just splice the connector, because I don't really know any other way to do it. lol

You can splice, but check at Radio Shack or another computer parts store and pick up some PSU 4 pin molex connectors. Just cut the connector off of the transformer and then crim on the pins for the molex and you have a easy quick disconnect just like inside the computer case!

Most cold cathodes are wired into the +12VDC yellow (pin 1) and the black ground (pin 2). Here is a good page with pin out information if you are interested

I'm lucky.. I've got a TON of computer parts laying around. heh... I built my computer about 8 months ago and upgraded some and just took out some stuff.

Well I've tried it a million different ways and none of them seem to be working... I'm so fed up with messing with this I'm thinking about ordering an LED kit that is dumb proof. This is what I got from radioshack... I think I might have burnt up my cold cathode inverter or something, but I tried using a fan on it, and that didnt work either. I put the two wires together from the AC to DC adaptor and it sparked so I know its hot. Just frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom