Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank maintance queerys

So I have my 37 gallon tank that has been set up for 6 fricken momths, and I'm not even halfway stocked. It's been a slow start to my first tank, but im doing it right! So when I do my weekly wc kn Sundays, I've noticed that the gravel vac water is a pee yellow color, but the tank water is clear? Also, when I turn on the filter after the change, it blows out disgusting debaters and particles. Is that normal? Al levels and fish are fine. Now for the other part- stocking. I have 5 lamp eye tetras, 5 gold barbs, 5 zebra danios, and 4 Julii Cory's. I wanna add a anglefish, 8 rumynose tetras, ad 2 German rams. Il get rid of the zebra danios. So in my tank, it feels empty. I wanna find a small school of fish (5-6) that will add a burst of color. Hopefully a red or blue, that will fit? Please help! Thanks

Old 05-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put a net in front of the filter before you plug it in to catch the nasty. Also the water you put into the tank is yellow? This means there is rust in your water and it is just diluted when it enters the tank

Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
Put a net in front of the filter before you plug it in to catch the nasty. Also the water you put into the tank is yellow? This means there is rust in your water and it is just diluted when it enters the tank
No, the water I take out of the tank from gravel vac is yellow, the water going in is perfect. Could you please help the stocking issue? I really need some colorful small group of fish
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In that case it might be some coloring from substrate. As for stocking it depends on what you want a cheap group that I have in my community are the red blue tetras. I like the silver with a streak of blue down the spine with awesome red fins. Just scroll through aquabid and get some ideas that's what I tend to do
Old 05-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What filter are you running?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm runnin a biowheel penguin 250 b. I went to get a new air pump today- as mine broke- and wa gonna buy the rumynose. However, try only had 4 unstick so I bought what I was thinking about to be that extra color- neon tetras! I absolutely love them and think they will brig a nice red blue pop! So in gonna finish with
5 gold barbs
5 lamp eye tetras
8 neon tetras
8 rumynose tetras
1 blue zebra anglefish
2 German blue rams
4 Julii Cory's!
Hopefully it'll look full!
I also am gonna buy a zebra nerite snail or 2 ( how many or 37 gallons) to keep algea good!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Can't help you with the stocking question but for the yellow water, I see the same thing. It's noticeable because the water change bucket it white. This is normal IMO.
Some folks remove the filter, shake out the filter media/cartridge in the water they just removed and rinse out the filter box it get all of the debris that collects in it.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you cleaned the intake tube? What media do you have in your filter? Might want to get some "tank water" and swishing it around and see if you noticed any particles coming out. If you do it just might be over saturated & not working properly and back in your tank. Also when feed time turn it off if you havent already.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you have any driftwood in the tank?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

For the fish- chilli or mosquito rasboras (because i want them and can't obtain them!)
For the water colour- could be tannins if you have wood in the tank, or perhaps you are going to long between pwc?
I don't know what filter you have, but when I prime my canisters, I put the output hose over a bucket till its finished blowing out globs of debris (its usually the gunk that builds up in the pipes)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rinse the filter media, in tank water when you do your water changes, that should help with the regurgitation of debris. Your stock seems fine, you are doing a good job. Keep it up. The tank doesn't have to look FULL, usually if it looks full it is over stocked and you will have some problems. Just make sure you keep up in your testing as you add more fish.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got a tetra whisper bubbler and it is silent! Way better than my last one! I have 2 large mopani driftwood pieces in tere so that might be it. I also have my biowheel filter I am plannin on this stock-
5 gold barbs
8 rumynose tetras
5 lamp eye tetras
4 Cory cat fish
8 neon tetras
1 angle fish
2 gbr
Hopefully I'll be finished in a month!
Quick question- would adding 4 neons hurt? I really like them cuz they school and are bright metallic colors. I don't think the have a huge bioload and they would look alot fuller with 10-12 in te school, is that doable?

Tags
maintance, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com