Tank maintenance - how do you do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I am misunderstanding this but isnt the point of a dirted tank low maintenance?

Lol from my understanding I just dirted my tank so I don't have to place root tabs often, I just dirted my tank to give it a try.
So far so good, I have not had my plants show me anything bad so far. Plus with the white sand cap and driftwood it looks natural=)

Plus not sure if soil I got will cause spikes of ammonia, I don't want to put my fish in till it's cycled. I heard about Wal-stad method. But don't think I will go that route, just less on moving around things.

Every week I change 50% of the water in my tanks. Every 2-3 weeks I clean my canisters.

I did not/do not vac the substrate. In my sand tanks the waste eventually ends up in the filter after it breaks down so there's no need to. In my eco-complete tank (2-3" of substrate), it had such heavy rooted plant growth I never vacced it in the year it was running. My nitrates usually hit 40 by the time a water change rolls around.

Ah my apologies. Shoukd have read that better. Can you pm me details about your setup? Im thinking about trying.

Surely! I'm certainly no kind of expert though. This is my first try at one. :)

And I think whoever said that the "right" way to do maintenance is dependent on your situation has the best answer. Although I also like to hear other people's methods - you can always learn something. I've only been in the hobby a short while but it seems that there's a lot of grey areas and no one answer for any question once you move past basic dos and don'ts.

edit: GodFan, your inbox is full. : )

Surely! I'm certainly no kind of expert though. This is my first try at one. :) And I think whoever said that the "right" way to do maintenance is dependent on your situation has the best answer. Although I also like to hear other people's methods - you can always learn something. I've only been in the hobby a short while but it seems that there's a lot of grey areas and no one answer for any question once you move past basic dos and don'ts.
thumbs. I agree

Surely! I'm certainly no kind of expert though. This is my first try at one. :)

And I think whoever said that the "right" way to do maintenance is dependent on your situation has the best answer. Although I also like to hear other people's methods - you can always learn something. I've only been in the hobby a short while but it seems that there's a lot of grey areas and no one answer for any question once you move past basic dos and don'ts.

edit: GodFan, your inbox is full. : )

Oops! I got room now :)
And I think that hits the nail on tne head. Every situation and circumstance is different and requires different care. I think if you do the proper research and watch your tanks closely you will find the perfect balance for your tank!

Lol from my understanding I just dirted my tank so I don't have to place root tabs often, I just dirted my tank to give it a try.
So far so good, I have not had my plants show me anything bad so far. Plus with the white sand cap and driftwood it looks natural=)

Plus not sure if soil I got will cause spikes of ammonia, I don't want to put my fish in till it's cycled. I heard about Wal-stad method. But don't think I will go that route, just less on moving around things.

Yes soil will cause ammonia spikes so you are right on. Could you pm me about your setup as well please :)

Back
Top Bottom