Tank mate(s) for a male Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello :)
One day I want to get a small tank that will either be used to hold fry and such temporarily, or a nice setup that will be really pretty... a nice Java Moss carpet and some driftwood. If I don't go for a fry setup, I would put a really pretty male Betta in the tank.

It would either be 5 gallons or 5.5 gallons. (I have two tanks in mind that I see at the store often)

So, if I did get the Betta, is there anything I could put in there?
Also, would the extra .5 gallons really help when it comes to adding some friends? If so, I'd get the 5.5 then.

Anyways, I was thinking of a Zebra Nerite snail. Anything else??? I would LOVE to put the RCS, but that wouldn't work if I had a Betta. So, any ideas?

This is just a little future planning, no rush or anything. Just curious if there's anything out there that's compatible with a male Betta.

Thanks so much for your time :)

Bettas are recommended to be alone due to the bettas nature. but it really depends on the bettas personality.

Very few people (me) have kept bettas with other fish. I kept my male with a molly, 2 platys, 2 male guppies, and some amano shrimp. But as I said before it depends on the betta and its personality

5.5 gallons you have limited space, but you could fit a few amano shrimp in there or a single netrite snail. But thats really it.

hope this helped

Tyler

Thanks. I know Bettas are always risky because of personality differs.
I wasn't thinking of adding any other "actual fish", what I mainly had in mind were bottom dwellers. If I got the Betta I think I would end up getting the Nerite Snail, but otherwise I suppose I'm limited.

I was thinking of a few Cories, but I think they'd be a little cramped.
Then I thought of some Ottos... But not sure about those compatibilty wise.

Thanks soo much for the help so far :) :)

The size of the tank limits you more than it having a betta. We have male bettas in tanks with many different types of tetra and rasboras without issue. They are 10 and 20G tanks though. As long as you avoid long finned or other anabantoids, they should be fine.

In a 5G really the only things suitable to add are snails. For an advanced planted setup, I would recommend microrasboras, CPDs, etc.

You guys are right, so I'll just go with a Betta and maybe a snail if I ever setup that sort of tank.

Jason: As for the Ottos, if I could only fit one, than I would not get any at all because Ottos are shoaling fish, just like Cories, and prefer groups of at least 3-5. So, I don't think I could just get one, which is why I won't et them at all.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom