Tank Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddustinngodfreyy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon tank with 2 blood parrots and 2 jack dempsey and I need to know what I can put with them. Thanks!

Nothing, and you really need to move the dempsey's out before the grow larger than a few inches. To properly house those fish as adults you need at least a 75 gallon tank. They'll either end up stunted in the 36, or more likely kill the blood parrots and each other when they get big enough to want territories.

I was actually worried about the blood parrots as well.. Perhaps you should reconsider your current stocking instead of adding more?

I've had them in the tank for about 2 months now and I haven't noticed any problems but if I do remove fish what do I do with them? I am a beginner when it comes to this.

I got them at the local PetSmart but they only have a 14 day bring back date and I've had them close to 2 months or more

As others have said: You would need a bigger tank even to just keep the fish you have. The larger they grow, the less territory available, etc. Your options are to trade fish in (contact any fish store you can find on google nearby) or to get a bigger tank.

I have been really interested in saltwater tanks and if I can find a shop to trade fish I might into converting, how difficult would that be with my setup? Or is that just too farfetched ?

There's much more work with saltwater I think. I am managing two 75 gallons and a 55, but still won't go to saltwater yet...

I have three blood parrots with two firemouths and two lemon barbs.... In a 55.... The firemouths are nice and they have beautiful colors .... Their defense mechanism are also really crazy, they bloat there fiery red throat and it's awesome to see.... They grow about 8 inches o beleive... The barbs are not a good idea bc they get huge .... I'll have them until I have to trade it in or until I have a bigger tank....

I really love the look of larger brightly colored fish which is why i got the parrots but with that kind there isn't a lot of fish to choose from. If I trade what would be good fish to get in the area of somewhat larger and colored? That's why I was interested in salt water because I think the fish are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom