Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tank mates for 20g with paradise fish and neons

Hi team,

I have a 20 gallon cube with one male paradise fish, eight neon tetras and one rather large apple snail. I'm after suggestions for a "center piece" to add to the tank. I'd love something like a puffer, but I've read they generally don't do well with community tanks. I've given a ram a go but wasn't my thing...

The paradise fish is quite peaceful with the neons, when I first got them he'd chase them around out of curiosity but now he's fine with them. He can definitely get a bit excited and lash out at his reflection in the tank occasionally. I'd love a fish with a similar great personality to him!

Not suuuper concerned about a fish getting nippy with the neons (they have NTD) and the snail (in my bad books at the moment) and I reckon my paradise fish can protect himself to an extent, although I definitely want to keep him happy.

Cheers for your suggestions!

Old 12-04-2019, 01:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not a fan of the concept of centerpiece fish. Fish, with few exceptions, like to be in schools, shoals, or loose groups. Few fish do well as loners. Paradise fish and bettas are exceptions. But putting one fish in a tank from a species that lives in groups is unkind.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Uh sounds like your paradise fish is the centerpiece fish. Why not just put a couple of more neons in there.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You really have to be careful about what you put with Paradise Fish. I personally don't put any fish with mine. When I was new to the hobby I put a paradise fish in a 29g with 10 silver hatchets. I acclimated all of the fish and then went to make dinner. When I came back most of the silver hatchets didn't have eyes anymore.

Paradise fish are still one of the most interesting fish I have kept. They seem very intelligent for their size.

Tags
ate, fish, mate, neon, neons, paradise fish, tan, tank, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com