Tank mates for a jardini arowana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking of datnoids but learned that they don't do well with plants. They uproot them and such.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, any suggestion based on experience/knowledge with jardini tank mates that will not uproot plants or try to redecorate the tank? Thanks in advance!

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Um... how big is the guy? I mean, they eat anything that fits in their mouth, so I would say any tank-mate would be temporary.

I am planning to get a 4-5" jardini and introduce it with all the tank mates already in the tank. I'm hoping that if they grow together while the arowana is still not aggressive that they'll be fine. Im just thinking of getting another tank mate or 2 in addition to my BGKF.

Well, maybe it will work? I mean, you have to think that the fish will get three feet or more. So, something that gets that similar size. Some big catfish might work? How big is your tank?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Well, maybe it will work? I mean, you have to think that the fish will get three feet or more. So, something that gets that similar size. Some big catfish might work? How big is your tank?

I have a 125 and i know that that it's good for only a year with that kind of fish. I have a 250g(empty) in the garage and it is just a little too big for a 4-5" fish. Datnoids grow up to over a foot, right? There are a lot of fish that can be tank mates with a jardini but only concern is my plants. I'd rather have a tank with just one fish than add a tank mate that will redecorate and uproot my plants.

I guess it depends on the fish. My friend's parents owned a restaurant with one and he took out everybody they put in there. Just be careful.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I guess it depends on the fish. My friend's parents owned a restaurant with one and he took out everybody they put in there. Just be careful.

Thanks.

Here are some to consider. Banded Leporinus (may eat tender plants) Green Severum (may rearrange plants to their liking or during breeding), Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy), Giant Kissing Gourami (I had 3 in the 6 to 8 inch size), Bala Sharks, Clown or Black Knifefish, Clown Loaches (they pack a switch blade under their eyes) or a Ornate Bichir. I had a Soft Shelled Turtle in with mine for several years but note the turtle has a high waste output taking more than it's share in waste management (Less fish capacity for the system). Did I mention Catfish?

ezy33 said:
Here are some to consider. Banded Leporinus (may eat tender plants) Green Severum (may rearrange plants to their liking or during breeding), Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy), Giant Kissing Gourami (I had 3 in the 6 to 8 inch size), Bala Sharks, Clown or Black Knifefish, Clown Loaches (they pack a switch blade under their eyes) or a Ornate Bichir. I had a Soft Shelled Turtle in with mine for several years but note the turtle has a high waste output taking more than it's share in waste management (Less fish capacity for the system). Did I mention Catfish?

I would check on them. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom