Tank mates for neon tetras and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all

I'm new here but have LOTS of questions... and several threads on AA already :facepalm:

We have a 6-Gallon 360° tall tank, 12" x 24", planted w 3 Neon Tetras, Anacharis, micro sword, java moss. Changing substrate this weekend to CaribSea Eco-Complete.

I want to add shrimp (6 yellow or rcs, possibly ghost) and possibly a few more neons.

Without running the risk of overstocking, what other fish and plants could we add for a more active tank?

Our neons hang out near the bottom in "separate corners" when not chasing each other or feeding and I would like a bit more activity overall... perhaps a some enders or other just one or two more neons?

Before you ask, our tank is still cycling (yes fish-in) with a pH around 7.6-8.0, temp 74°-76° F and decreasing Ammonia, but still zero nitrite and nitrates. Doing daily 40-50% water changes w Prime.

Thanks Andrew... this is just a 6 Gallon though.

Will it support 6 neon tetras, 6 shrimp and more fish?
kyPBtpXIXSZ415UQZ4WT3Dss42WVMleeUtNSAdRKsXk=w425-h567-no

Thanks Andrew... this is just a 6 Gallon though.

Will it support 6 neon tetras, 6 shrimp and more fish?

Hmm I missed that part. As long as you can keep the water clean it really shouldn't be a problem. I would add them slow in this case. The shrimp wouldn't count on the stocking bioload. I have a ten gallon with a betta, 8 neon and 9 Rasbora. And I've known people that can keep the water good and have up to 25 fish in a ten..

Hmm I missed that part. As long as you can keep the water clean it really shouldn't be a problem. I would add them slow in this case. The shrimp wouldn't count on the stocking bioload. I have a ten gallon with a betta, 8 neon and 9 Rasbora. And I've known people that can keep the water good and have up to 25 fish in a ten..

Well I can keep up with the water changes but I'm not sure my little internal filter could handle the bioload of 12 fish plus plants and inverts :eek:

I would love to get a shoal of neons going, though not much room for that in my big little tank. Perhaps I can train them to shoal in a corkscrew pattern :brows:

I have to disagree. Shrimp produce waste too.

25 fish in a 10 gal? Sure. 25 happy fish in a 10 gal? hmm... not likely, in my opinion.

:)

OJ,
That cylindrical tank would make a really nice invert-only tank. If I were you I would find a new home for the neons. There's not much room to swim, and neons are very active fish. They won't know what to do in that tank. (which is probably why they just hang out in the corners)

OJ,
That cylindrical tank would make a really nice invert-only tank. If I were you I would find a new home for the neons. There's not much room to swim, and neons are very active fish. They won't know what to do in that tank. (which is probably why they just hang out in the corners)

Try Nano fish, if you want fish with Shrimp.
I think Celestial Pearl Danios 5-6, or a pair of Scarlet Badis or 4-6 Corydoras pygmaeus.

There are pics in my albums. The C pygmaeus swim mid water and perch on plant leaves. Not the usual bottom dwellers.

Your tank is a tough shape and has LESS air surface than a rectangular tank of the same gallon size. So overstocking would not be a good idea.

Some people have used GUSH pods stuck on the side to grow plants at different levels. You might search around for creative ways to use this space. Crypt balansae is tall thin and has grown well for me under low lights.

^ good advice!

I really like Celestial Pearl Danios. They are beautiful fish, and you could easily stock 5 or 6 in there along with some shrimp.

I don't think you would want to do the Pygmy corries as there isn't really enough room at the base

I'd do 6 galaxy rasbora! Those guys are stunning and are also a nano fish.

Wow that's funny I never knew that :banghead: Guess you learn something new everyday :)

galaxy rasbora = celestial pearl danio

they are different names for the same species (y)

Celestial Pearl Danio are pretty, and stay small (1" or less) according to what i have read...

I feel bad for my Neon Tetra, I put them in the wrong home :( perhaps the tall round tank becomes a betta silo :fish2:

I really don't have room for a 20 Gallon Long tank to do a proper river setup... how about something like this tank for a shoal of neons?

I would make that tank a shrimp tank--and maybe something really tiny like pygmy corys (four should be enough). Neons, event though they are small, like to swim. There isn't room in that tiny tank to shoal.

I would make that tank a shrimp tank--and maybe something really tiny like pygmy corys (four should be enough). Neons, event though they are small, like to swim. There isn't room in that tiny tank to shoal.

How about shrimp and a Betta?

It could possibly work but it depends on the betta...you could also do corydoras habrosus

I will never mix Shrimp and a Betta again unless its Ghost Shrimp. My Betta slaughtered RCS in a heavily planted 10g. I would not advise it.

C habrosus like floor space. I have mine in a 10g.

Back
Top Bottom