Tank mates for RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking of setting up A 10g RCS tank. My filtration will be a HOB not sure what brand yet but i will put a sponge over the intake to ensure all babys are safe. Thanks

I have a densely planted 10g with RCS, I have had them with a beta, kuhli loaches, Otos, a nerite snail, neon tetras, and most recently White Cloud Mountain minnows. If a small baby is swimming out in the open, no fish can resist that tasty snack. But I started out with 5, and 2 months later have 40+ so obviously it hasn't been too much of a problem! I don't even have any cover over my filter intake either. They are very prolific and quite entertaining :)

I would suggest very small fish, maybe sparkling gouramis
Kuhli girl: hate to break it to you, but your tank is very, VERY over stocked, and kuhli loaches need at least a 20 gallon long footprint

I would suggest very small fish, maybe sparkling gouramis Kuhli girl: hate to break it to you, but your tank is very, VERY over stocked, and kuhli loaches need at least a 20 gallon long footprint
+1, he's right, your extremely over stocked kuhli girl.

I do not currently have all those fish in my tank. I believe I said "I have had" cherries with those types of fish. I am aware how to properly stock a tank but thank you for your concern. Just giving some compatible examples from my past experience.

Could i get 6-7 harlequin rasboras, 1 scarlet badis , about 5-6 RCS and alot of anacharis,java moss, and java fern?

I don't know much about scarlet badis, but aside from that everything sounds fine to me

ok first thing is only fully compatible fish is otos. after that it is pygmy cores, panda loaches, hillstream loaches, and maybe bn plecos. other can be chili rasboras, threadfin rainbows, and scarlet badis. but beware the scarlet badis will eat the babies. i have chili rasboras with all my shrimps taiwan bees, cherries, tigers, etc and the chili rasboras dont eat the babies because they stay so small. rule of thumb is if it fits in the mouth then it will eat it. this goes for neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, galaxy rasboras, etc because eventually they will eventually grow big enough to eat the babies and sometimes pick at the adults. but personally the best fish are nano fish. just because your population grows doesnt mean that the tetras etc arent eating the babies.

and you shouldnt start with 6 start with 10 or more to get a fast and healthy colony. go to theshrimpfarm.com for a cheap and very high grade of cherry shrimp

ok first thing is only fully compatible fish is otos. after that it is pygmy cores, panda loaches, hillstream loaches, and maybe bn plecos. other can be chili rasboras, threadfin rainbows, and scarlet badis. but beware the scarlet badis will eat the babies. i have chili rasboras with all my shrimps taiwan bees, cherries, tigers, etc and the chili rasboras dont eat the babies because they stay so small. rule of thumb is if it fits in the mouth then it will eat it. this goes for neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, galaxy rasboras, etc because eventually they will eventually grow big enough to eat the babies and sometimes pick at the adults. but personally the best fish are nano fish. just because your population grows doesnt mean that the tetras etc arent eating the babies.

I thought H. Rasboras only grow to an inch? Would they still be able to eat the shrimp?

i believe the males do but females get nice and big. but dont get me wrong they are pretty but they are still capable of eating the babies. like i said before stick with small fish. i really like the chilli rasboras, if not then galaxies arent a bad choice. maybe least killifish would look good up to you.... and also remember dario dario scarlet badis are picky and really and sometimes only like live food. now tell me doesnt brine shrimp tend to look like baby shrimplets hahahhaha

New stocking idea!
I looked online and kinda like chili rasboras so here it is-
10 chili rasboras
7 RCS
A couple MTS
Some RHS also

In my ten gallon tank I have 70+ rcs of varied sizes. I started from a colony of 3. With them I have 3 otos, a couple snails, and one scarlet badis. The badis is truly picky about it's food but mine survives off of the baby shrimp in my tank (I've tried every other food for it, it just wants the baby red cherries now).. It does slow the growth of the shrimp colony but the shrimp are prolific enough to support it.

Just as a warning, your snails will quickly take over your tank. I didn't even introduce them purposely, and my ramshorns are EVERYWHERE. I had to get an assassin snail, but even he can't keep up- I still have to regularly pick them out by hand, usually by the dozens.

Back
Top Bottom