tank mates for three angelfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwk5270

Aquarium Advice Activist
So as I've talked about in other threads, I'm trying to get ideas of what kind of fish to add with my angels in a forty gallon hex. Currently only have one cory cat and one Raphael cat fish. I'm interested in some schoaling fish, like a bigger kind of tetras. Also maybe blue rams, but that might be overstocked. Any ideas?

How about a large school of Orange Flame tetras? Or maybe Rummynose tetras.

I would also get some more Corys since they like to be in groups.

5 more cory cats. They are a shoaling fish and the more you have the better they will school

I tried rummy.nose tetras but my angels tried eating them so I need something bigger

Def up the corys

They are not shoaling wish but platies may be a nice option.

Rams would work

Zebra danios perhaps? They are slender but have a good inch on rummy nose

Are the angels adults?

One is close to an adult and the other two are about half dollar size

Also everytime I add more cories they die eventually...

Tankmates

So as I've talked about in other threads, I'm trying to get ideas of what kind of fish to add with my angels in a forty gallon hex. Currently only have one cory cat and one Raphael cat fish. I'm interested in some schoaling fish, like a bigger kind of tetras. Also maybe blue rams, but that might be overstocked. Any ideas?

Hello d...

Dave, my friend and resident expert on Angels, recommends the larger species of Corydoras, Danios and Gouramis. Corys do require a more neutral pH and very pure water conditions.

B

Also does anyone have suggestions for low light plants. I dobt a have good light or anything. I have some java fern right now

a non common pleco that grows slowly.

The tank bottom does not have enough area with the Raphael cat to support a school of Cory cats. Rams might work as they are also cichlids and can, most of the time, stand up to angels. You already have found out your angels are aggressive and in order to add new fish your best bet is to remove them from the tank, put them in a bucket for a short time, and re-arrange the tank. I know you have limited options in a 40 Hex but since the angels have claimed the tank as it is as "their" territory it needs to be changed so it's a new territory they aren't familiar with. After changing the scape, add the new fish, let them settle, then re-add your angels. This is your best bet for adding any new fish. If you add new fish, just about any species, you are most likely going to have a repeat of the rummy's. This wouldn't be an issue if they were small (nickel size body or smaller) but since they are mature adults and they have not had tank mates other than bottom dwellers they think the tank is theirs and as is, not willing to share. Dwarf gourami's might work. As for low light plants, you tank is tall and a bit narrow, so you could use all types of anubia, some types can get tall, crypts, and I believe jungle val, which would grow to the top of the tank.

A pair of Apistogramma might work, they tend to spend most of there time around the bottom and should be more than capable of taking care of themselves. Bleeding heart Tetra or Lemon Tetra seem to go well with Angels. My friend keeps 7 Tiger Barbs with his 4 Angels without any problems, though this might not be the case in every situation. For a bottom dweller, if you had sand substrate you could look at a small group of Kuhli loach.

Borderlesscott said:
A pair of Apistogramma might work, they tend to spend most of there time around the bottom and should be more than capable of taking care of themselves. Bleeding heart Tetra or Lemon Tetra seem to go well with Angels. My friend keeps 7 Tiger Barbs with his 4 Angels without any problems, though this might not be the case in every situation.

I agree that they will be able to handle themselves but I disagree with added a pair of territorial Cichlids with a different group of other territorial Cichlids. Sounds like a fight waiting to happen. I suppose they could in the end just settle with each other, but I see it more likely that they will just stress each other to death. Different situations can happen for different tanks though but an Apisto runs a decent chunk of change to not really know what's going to happen.

**EDIT**

Speaking of Barbs, have you looked into them? They generally can handle themselves. I think Odessa Barbs are great and I don't know of any nipping issues with them.

Corydoras

Which cories are more hardy?

Hello again d...

I keep several Emerald or Green Corys. They've been in my tank for several years and they get pretty large, about 3 and a half inches. Corys are generally long livers in the right conditions.

B

Well I got some emperor tetras today. Took the angels out and re did the tank. They are doing good

Glad that method worked. It is the only way I know how do add fish when tank residents are so territorial agressive. I've had to do that a couple times over the years. Emperior tetras are really nice looking tetra's. Hope all goes well now!

Back
Top Bottom