Tank mates in a 2 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I decided that I could not live without a fish at work, and there really isn't much space, so I got a 2 gallon tank. I used to have one that had a betta and a danio in it, but I think it was too small for the danio because he got pretty big (relatively). I'm wondering if like an otto or cory (or two) would be too much or a decent addition? Or maybe a few small tetras? What do you guys think? I could just leave it as a betta only tank, but it would be cool to have another fish in there.

In addition, what about heating? The light on it is a simple bulb that probably makes the top of the water kinda warm, but there's no source of heat except the air, and it's probably around 70-72 in here. Should I get like a small 25W heater?

-j

Hi J -
If you haven't done so already, put the danio into a bigger tank and give him at least 5 friends.... danios are much happier in a group. You don't have much room for anything other than the betta in a 2g.

I wouldn't recommend any other mid/upper swimmers with the betta - too much competition. Only option would be a bottom dweller? Otos and cory cats are small but they don't like to be alone (they love to be in groups of their own kind). Maybe someone else can offer a suggestion. HTH

There really isn't much you can put in the 2 gallon. I personally don't put my betta's in anything smaller then a 5 gallon.

With the cold weather and I know at my work they turn off everything over the weekend, which makes this place turn into a meat locker. With the 2 gallon it's too hard to throw a heater in their since it will take even more room from your betta. Are you sure you don't have room for a 5 gallon tank? :D

I have a 2.5... and I have two German ram cichlids in it right now. They do great together. And at one point I just had one ram in there with a male betta.

I would suggest some aquatic frogs (don't know about their temp requirements), or actually crayfish prefer cooler, unheated water, and they are pretty neat, but you could keep only one in that size tank, or they'll tear each other up, likely.

I would say 2.5 gallons is very much too small for a ram, almost too small for a betta, IMO - for me a 5gal is about the smallest tank I'll keep, but that's just me :wink:

I have a 2.5... and I have two German ram cichlids

I personally think it's way too small to house 2 German Blues, besides rams actually prefer warmer water then most tropical fish. Somewhere in the range of 80-82 degrees.

And this comment is not meant to be rude at all and I'm not directing this comment to anyone. I strongly feel that just because fish can fit and survive in a 2.5 gallon, doesn't mean they are happy. It just means they are surviving. The quality of life for them just isn't there in the 2.5 gallon tank. :D I hope I haven't offended anyone. :oops:

I would advise against any african dwarf frogs with a betta. Mine decided 5 gallons was too small and started pushing my frogs all over the tank. Now the frogs live with 3 femals and everyone seems happy. Perhaps you can find a 5 gallon tank, they really aren't that big, and then you could have a group of neons or something else. If you do just want to 2.5 gal, then maybe a big ol' snail would be cool with your betta :D

I will probably just keep only the betta in it but keep watch on the water. This will be the 3rd betta in my office, but I reckon the first to survive for a decent length of time. :) I wasn't sure if my company would let me have even this tank in my cube, but I would not be opposed to getting a 5 if I could.

-j

Eh, just bring in a 5 gallon one day and set it up. Once it is up and running, I'm sure they won't say anything. If they do, pull an "office space" :wink: Or just tell them you were adding a little flare to your office.

in my 2 gal i have a guppy and an endler's... they must be fine, ive had them for a while now. :) ohh and also, all of a sudden i have over 10 baby snails. :?

I guppy and one male Endler's (I assume it is a male) is probably just fine for the 2 gal, cause we are talking about pretty wee tiny fish. I keep Endler's in a 5gal with shrimp and snails.

He seems to be doing ok. His favorite activity is to try to fight himself when he catches the wall at the right angle. He also plays with his food, and really acts kinda like a puppy would. He's pretty young too. He's barely over an inch long, not including finnage. Everyone at the office likes him, and he was named "El Guapo".

-j

Back
Top Bottom