tank overheating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPCustoms

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gallon nano cube which is an closed in tank. it has a metal halide bulb and 4 moonlight bulbs for the lighting. its ment for saltwater but running as fw because dont have the money to convert it. the heater i have in it is set to 72 but the tank reaches 84 every day. i have tried using ice and cracking the lid open. i have also tryed swapping 5 gallons of tank water every day keep the water then put it in the next day when it has cooled down but that hasnt done much either. currently im just using a water bottle that is filled with ice and it still doesnt do much. it gets very hot where i am and the room gets 80 degrees every day with the air conditioner running. i have tryed everything i can think of short of buying a $300 chiller. any thought on how i can cool it down without buying the chiller i will as a last resort i would just rather not.

Raise the light up fans On The surfaces of anywhere water or glass will help fan on top of light bottom of light fans can help loads but fans are big and suck

You may be able to modify your closed top by cutting out two square holes in the back plastic and putting a PC fan on the outside of one hole. Might seem drastic but if you can do it it'll help immensely to draw the heat out.

You need to cool the room in order to cool the tank. And, keep that MH off... that'll add a lot of heat. Blowing a fan across the tank still won't cool it off any lower than the ambient temp in the room though.

Metal halide bulb mimics the sun. Its a live plant tank so I can't turn it off I was thinking of just getting one of those mini air conditioners I don't really have a choice ice isn't even working anymore

Back
Top Bottom