Tank paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys!!

Its been a while since I've posted and all is well with the fishes.All the tanks in my sig are still up and doing great thanks to these great forums.

BUT...now I gotta move em.All of em.Not very far,but from one house to another.Any useful tips would be great although I think I know how to handle it ok.The SW tank obviously poses the largest problem for a host of reasons.

that said...I like to paint the back of the 90 and the 29 while I have the chance.

What type of paint do I need to buy?How much?And is there any prep ,besides cleaning,before application?

I seal off the top real well to keep anything from getting inside. Then I mask off the trim and other sides leaving only the glass that I want painted exposed. I then clean the glass thoroughly. I used ordinary non-glossy spray paint. Lots of light coats instead of trying to cover quickly. it may look a little splotchy on the back but once you put the tank light on it looks great from the inside. I have one tank that is blue background and one that is black. I prefer the black one I think but both look nice. I would guess maybe 1 can for the 29 and 1-2 for the 90. Sorry my biggest tank is a 55 so I am not sure about the 90. It has also been a while since I painted the 55 and I don't remember but I think it only took 1 can. I painted the back of my 25 recently and it took less than 1 can. Hope this helps!

I just painted a 55 this week. Used Krylon Medium Blue, and it took less than 1 can to get good coverage. Unfortunately, my clumsy helper scraped a big patch off the back as we were putting the tank back in place, so I have to fix it this weekend.

You can use just about any kind of paint. I have tanks that have been painted with regular latex like you would use on a wall in your home. I brushed it on, it normally takes two coats. With brushing you do not have to worry about over spray.

Back
Top Bottom