Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33miles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Newbie here.....I'm looking at getting the 42g tall hex Oceanic tank.......i seem to remember reading a long time ago that this is a difficult tank to control the water quality because of the reduced substrate surface area for bio filtering.....is this true?.......any advice is appreciated.

It is a wierd shape. Personally I don't like tall aquariums as much as long ones because long tanks give the fish more room to dart off fast. The bacteria will live on anything in your tank it doesn't just have to be the substrate. If you get a canister filter you can put bioballs in there to house bacteria.

I don't see any complications coming from that tank for your biofiltering.

if, however you wish to go planted, it will give you difficulties due to the depth of the tank, otherwise you should be ok.

It is a wierd shape. Personally I don't like tall aquariums as much as long ones because long tanks give the fish more room to dart off fast. The bacteria will live on anything in your tank it doesn't just have to be the substrate. If you get a canister filter you can put bioballs in there to house bacteria.

hmmmmm......good point...thanks fijiwigi

neilanh said:
.....however you wish to go planted, it will give you difficulties due to the depth of the tank, otherwise you should be ok.

again...newbie question here.......why is that neilanh?....is it because the lighting would not be sufficient for planted?

The WPG count would have to be much higher to sufficiently permeate to the bottom of the tank... so to have plants that grow in low-light conditions, you'd need a med/high-light fixture to get low-light at the bottom of the tank.

Makes more sense?

The WPG count would have to be much higher to sufficiently permeate to the bottom of the tank... so to have plants that grow in low-light conditions, you'd need a med/high-light fixture to get low-light at the bottom of the tank.

Makes more sense?

Yeah....that's what i figured......thanks bluerose

Back
Top Bottom