Tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
When the tank smells like, well, like a fish tank full of fish, should I do a water change, or is it ok for it to smell like that? My test kit is at home which I am picking up this weekend, so all I can offer is pH until Monday. I have had this tank since the 28th and used the same filter from my smaller tank so at least there's some bacteria there.

BettaGal said:
When the tank smells like, well, like a fish tank full of fish, should I do a water change, or is it ok for it to smell like that? My test kit is at home which I am picking up this weekend, so all I can offer is pH until Monday. I have had this tank since the 28th and used the same filter from my smaller tank so at least there's some bacteria there.

Its not unusual for a new tank to have a bit of a smell. Is it bad or just when you stick your nose down to it?

Honestly, I've smelled a lot worse, but I'm also weird in that a genetic screw-up runs in my family between the females. We can smell literally anything. So maybe it's just me being able to smell the tank maybe cycling or something normal going on. I'll be doing another water change tomorrow probably since I'm leaving Friday afternoon for home, so I highly doubt my levels are off by much. I just did a change yesterday.

Naw, I have a 125 gallon tank, smells like fish too, it's just the bacteria build up, you can do a water change but your gunna get the smell back again after.

Adding alittle extra carbon to the filter, if you can with the filter you have, will help with any smell since carbon absorbs odor.

It uses carbon cartridges. It's small for the tank, but it's better than no filter. If I can find a job, I could possibly get a bigger one, but the market for college students is a little short.

I'd just wait and see if it goes away or your nose gets used to the smell... lol. Have you asked a friend or two to come in your room and tell you if they smell anything. Don't say what just do they smell anything. If they say no then you know it's just you.

I haven't because in all honesty, fish are much more pleasant than people of my age, with a few noted exceptions. I don't bring many people in very often. I've had I think two visitors stay a length of time in my room in the year I've been single. The ex was always there. But we won't count him.

Back
Top Bottom