tank question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dertyharry420

Aquarium Advice Regular
im starting my planted tank and i am gonna order a coralife 20" pc 6700k unit and i was wondering if i should buy a hagen c02 natural plant system..? i have a 10gallon tank i was wondering if this would be the best way to go..?

Absolutely go with CO2. The Hagen system is easily enough replicated with a DIY setup, but since it goes for only $22 at Bigalsonline.com and comes with the reactor ladder, I think it's worth the money.

No need to go with anything more complicated or expensive in this case.

Yes, they are the same system. Hagen makes it, but sells it as a Hagen Plant Gro, and a Nutrafin Plant Gro, depending on your location.

Drsfostersmith.com also sell it, and you can actually buy JUST the diffuser and CO2 grade airline. the rest of the kit is over-priced for what you get.

If you're going to buy it, just read the instructions that come with it. Its very simple..sets up in 5 mins, and you'll have CO2 going in about 24 hours.

Also, do a search here for DIY CO2 - you'll probably find a hundred posts which will outline the full DIY approach for CO2.

on a side note, be sure you check your levels everyday because in a 10 gal, things can get away from you very quickly

And on that side note, what's your carbonate hardness like? that's the Kh test kit. If you inject CO2, you need that test kit, and a dKh of 3.

Definitely get yourself some liquid reagent test kits - dip strips are so much easier but not as accurate, and you need to know your KH to safely use CO2.

I have several of the Hagen units and if I could do it over I would go on Aquabid or Ebay and get the ladder diffuser and tubing, as Malkore suggested. That is really a nice diffuser for a small tank, and you can just use a 2 liter soda bottle for your reactor - you will get so much more mileage out of your yeast in a larger container than what you get with the Hagen setup.

Keep in mind that higher light and CO2 in a small tank like a 10gal means lots of pruning and monitoring of nutrients, so it is going to be a high-maintenance tank once you get started.

thats not a problem ! but i kinda want to go with the hagen setup since im a newbie at co2 so i just wanted to know how i could use that with yeast ...

I just started a 10g planted myself. I went with an AH supply 36W to go along with the cheap lightstrip that came with the tank (replaced bulbs with 10W CF).
For CO2 I went to drsfostersmith and orderd just the diffuser *thanks to everyone on this board that directed me that way

the 2L CO2 generator is simple to construct. I found this page to be very helpful http://members.myactv.net/~shawmutt/diy_co2.html
*again thanks to whoever directed me here, if they use AA then doubly thanks.

CO2 is not hard to get going but like everyone says be sure to monitor the parameters a lot while you get things going. I have very soft water (tap KH and GH both approx. 2) I like to keep my GH lower for the rasboras but I dose sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to raise my KH to 4 or 5.

I initially had some pH fluctuations as I've played with the perfect recipe of yeast and sugar (which I'm still perfecting). Hopefully things go well for you. My plants have been growing out of control and need pruning at minimum every other week.

i just want to buy the kit im not a diy guy lol and i dont have a cabinet to stash all of it so i dont want it lookin messy...so im prolly just goona buy the kit i was just wondering if there was anyway i could bypass buying those packets

Yes, you can use the kit and about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp dry yeast, 1 cup of sugar and if you don't have hard water you can use about 1/2 tsp baking soda as a stabilizer, or go without and see how long the mix lasts.

The catch is that you have one reactor (unless you want to invest in a second kit) so when the mix runs low, you disconnect it and mix a new batch, and while you are waiting 12-24 hours for the CO2 to get cranking your CO2 concentrations have dropped and the pH has risen. I never had any real difficulties that I was aware of when I did it this way, but now I run 2 juice bottles on staggered schedules so there is never a time when there is absolutely no CO2.

Back
Top Bottom