Tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I did a water change on my tank today. I have done a couple of 25% ones in the past 7 days since beginning a new system, new cycle and everything! I still have my one remaining endlers livebearer, an armored Cory cat, and an albino snail. They are all in the tank.

I did a 50% change today to remove more algaecide to make it safe for my invertebrate snail (I know they all are.) It seems to have done some good as my snail is more active.

My ammonia level has risen to a max of 1.0 on the test tube and has wavered every few days between .5 the day after a change of 25% and 1.0 after a few days. It tends to stay at 1.0. Will a 50% water change be too much and hinder the nitrogen cycle? Will just a weekly 25% or monthly 50% pwc be okay after the cycle is complete? What are your full tank test (nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, oh, etc.) kit recommendations?

I use bioboost that boosts and maintains the nitrogen cycle. Do I need to add this with every pwc or just as recommended by the bottle?

It has been so long since I really took care of my tank due to deep depression. So I have forgotten a lot and have tons of questions. I want to keep a healthy tank. I have some tough fishies.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The big thing to add to water before it goes into the tank is dechlorinator. Anything else is based on need, follow the instructions on the bottle. Most of us here don't rely on bacteria in a bottle, but go with filter material and/or gravel/ornaments from a well established tank. No worries, though. You're paying attention to the levels and doing what needs doing, which is the really important part.

I recommend reading the fish-in cycle article linked on the sticky of Freshwater & Brackish > Getting Started thread. It'll smooth out the process for you and help you protect your fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The big thing to add to water before it goes into the tank is dechlorinator. Anything else is based on need, follow the instructions on the bottle. Most of us here don't rely on bacteria in a bottle, but go with filter material and/or gravel/ornaments from a well established tank. No worries, though. You're paying attention to the levels and doing what needs doing, which is the really important part.

I recommend reading the fish-in cycle article linked on the sticky of Freshwater & Brackish > Getting Started thread. It'll smooth out the process for you and help you protect your fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have read that. Plus many articles on it. My bioboost conditions and the conditioner I use dechlorinates.

Was going to bed last night. A 50% change will drop the ammonia to 0.5ppm from 1, which is plenty for the growing bacteria colony to feed on.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes change at least 50% before you start to lose fish and yes use dechlorinator like Prime. All good advice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome. Thank you. I did a 50% then my water spiked to 2.0. May be doing back to back 50s.

I did a 30% wc. Added all maintenance doses of water care products. My water had come down to a 1.0 (I prayed over the tank) then did the wc.

This

Attachments

• 1452554790203.jpg
    1452554790203.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 57
Do you have access to a product called Prime? I'm not familiar with Jack's. Many people on here use Prime and that's it. I'm just wondering if it's something to do with your products. Could be a long shot.

Brenna

I may do another one today if I have help. Jack's Pets is a pet chain like pet co and pet smart. They just merged with Pet Valu. But they have their own brand of products. I do not locally have access to Prime. But Jacks Jack's products have been very good in the past. I trust them. I know nothing about Prime.

I may do another one today if I have help. Jack's Pets is a pet chain like pet co and pet smart. They just merged with Pet Valu. But they have their own brand of products. I do not locally have access to Prime. But Jacks Jack's products have been very good in the past. I trust them. I know nothing about Prime.

Fair enough. I'm just wondering what the source of all this ammonia is. Usually I have am issue when a fish dies and I don't catch it right away.

Brenna

Fair enough. I'm just wondering what the source of all this ammonia is. Usually I have am issue when a fish dies and I don't catch it right away.

Brenna

I just did an entire empty and clean on January 1st end put my fish back in. I have an endless livebearer, a Cory cat, and a snail. So I have started an entire new nitrogen cycle and it has only been 11 days. I have been doing regular water changes. And the ammonia level has stayed between .5 and 1.0 for a while but then suddenly spiked up to 2.0. I think that is because I put my snail back in after taking him out because of having algaecide in the tank. That may be the cause of the extra ammonia. I had an endless life bear die around the 2nd or 3rd day of the new cycle, so I got rid of him right away. The tank had been stable for a while since then but now suddenly has changed. No nitrites or nitrates have built up yet.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Jacks near me has more fish than pocket pets. I trusted most that worked there (don't wanna sway options and/or bad mouth them) until I stopped in before closing to pick up root tabs and saw a coworker pouring rid ich into every tank. Otherwise, their products are probably fine. Hmm.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Jacks near me has more fish than pocket pets. I trusted most that worked there (don't wanna sway options and/or bad mouth them) until I stopped in before closing to pick up root tabs and saw a coworker pouring rid ich into every tank. Otherwise, their products are probably fine. Hmm.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have NEVER had a problem with any diseases or illness with my fish from Jacks. May have been poor fish care and quarantine at your local one.

I tried to get some cycled tank media, but nobody knew what I was talking about other than a biowheel lol. The recommendation was just give my tank a couple more weeks to start building up nitrites and nitrates. So I'll do that. Gonna test my ammonia and do a water change.

I am cleaning a canister the next day or so but not sure if I could pack and ship my dirty filter pad to you, I would probably rinse it out and reuse but would gladly ship it to you if you think it will work , however very cold here right now and not sure if that will kill all the good stuff in it.

Location?

When you broke down and restarted what happened to the seeded filter media you had running?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom