Tank Raised or not (buying online question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I was looking at liveaquaria.com and on a lot of the fish it had the option of "tank raised". I assume not choosing that option would mean the fish are wild caught. Is it worth the almost 2 dollars more a fish? Aren't most of the fish at the LFS wild caught also? I was also wondering if anyone has any other sites that they have had success purchasing fish from. Thanks all.:popcorn:

Yes and No ... gotta love those answers eh?

Basically with hardy fish like certain Barbs and some tetras like Tiger Barbs and Bloodfin tetras for example, you can go with live caught since they can better withstand the cycling process. They can adapt to changing water conditions better than most.

It's with sensitive fish like Rummynose, Cardinal and even Neon Tetras, going with tank breed's a better option. Plenty of members ... myself included ... that out a dozen purchased, about 7-8 die over the course of a few days.

I agree with jcolon. Tank raised is more "eco friendly" if you will and that seems to be where the hobby is headed, which is good. It protects the natural fish in their habitats. The thing is, despite what sellers 'tell' you, you will never know where they really came from. Maybe it's a selling ploy to get us to pay $2 more on fish, who knows. If you do your homework on the fish you are selecting and can give them a good home, go for it. Just check on the return policy if it kicks the bucket within 24 hrs or something. Happy fish keeping.

Tank raised for sure with sensitive fish, rummy and cardinal tetra's for sure. In fact I don't mind paying extra for them because when you buy the wild caught and alot die you've lost that money and still don't have your fish. I bought my tank raised rummy's from Live Aquaria and just today went in the LFS and they actually had tank raised cardinal tetra's. Yes, premium price but I feel worth it. Plus I paid for 11 and found he gave me 16.

Not to throw a wench but I think fish like rams being tank raised are more adaptive to ph then the wild caught. So I think it really depends on the breed of fish your looking at.

It seems cruel to think of owning a wild caught anything really...not to be too political...but it just doesn't seem right. I love the wild angelfish tho...but I still think its sad.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I've just never seen tank raised advertised at any of my lfs. So far I've only gotten two rounds of fish that all crashed on me. One round of 13 cardinal tetras did cost me $40 that was a major financial loss, I would have definately paid $65 to still have them in my tank.

Does anyone know of a reliable site besides live aquaria to get fish online? I can't find a place to get lemon tetras anywhere!

Does anyone know of a reliable site besides live aquaria to get fish online? I can't find a place to get lemon tetras anywhere!

That's wierd, Live Aquaria always has them. I use them, AquariumFish.net, and Oddballfish. I've had good luck with all three. Also did you try posting in AA's classified forum?

Thanks rivercats! I thought it was weird too, I didnt think lemons were a rare specimen. Live aquaria hasn't had them for at least 3 weeks though :(

Tank raised can be wild caught. Tank Bred (or captive bred) means the fish were bred in an aquarium. Can't get the two confused, as they can mean entirely different things.

Tank raised can be wild caught. Tank Bred (or captive bred) means the fish were bred in an aquarium. Can't get the two confused, as they can mean entirely different things.

Yeah I wrote it wrong, they were tank bred. Have to watch how I word things.

Back
Top Bottom