Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank recommendations?

Hi!

I am looking to move my female betta to a new tank. The current tank I have her in is not that good since it has a design flaw where the cords from the filter and heater prevent the lid from closing/snapping on properly (https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-MiniBo.../dp/B00INCRREE). This is often a problem because I have to move her and the tank back and forth from college during the school year. Does anyone know of any tanks that are made of a material that does not break easily and have good lids and overall a good setup for a betta? She is in a 2.5 gallon tank right now and I would like to get her a slightly bigger tank if possible as well, as I know that size is the bare minimum.

Also, if I were to get a new tank, how long would it take to get everything properly set up, have safe nitrite/nitrate/ammonia levels, etc.? I basically unexpectedly ended up with my fish in December and then had to scramble to get everything set up for her. The tank I have right now is one I had a local pet store deliver to my house when I was at school so I didn't get to look at it and see the design flaw beforehand. It then took a very long time to get the heater, filter, and all of the chemical levels to be all set up and safe. I guess my problem is that I'd like to get her a new tank but am worried about how the setup process would be this time around, especially since I already have an established tank that I had to put a lot of work into.

Any suggestions/thoughts/feedback would be much appreciated!

Old 05-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could cut out section of the lid where the cord comes out so it fits flush.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

I would reccomend a 5 or 5.5 gal. If you go to petsmart they sell little kits for like 5 and 5.5 gal kits that are pretty cheap and work well. There is glass lids that you can buy for most size tanks just make sure to pay attention to dimensions but they are pretty weighted and make a tight fit with the right glass lid.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #4

Thank you!!
Old 06-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Before I opted for the setup I'm building for a betta, I was looking at this one.

I, personally, think that a 10g is ideal for a single betta.
JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Ichthyophile

If you go for a 10 gallon, I highly recommend an acrylic tank. Not plastic, acrylic. They are very durable, will not leak or crack and are half the weight of a glass tank. They are more expensive but well worth it. They also look better, I think, and are clearer than glass. You can also get any dimensions you want and they are easy to saw or drill if needed.

People say they scratch but that's a very minor problem that can be avoided and if they are scratched can be buffed out. I've got 18 acrylic tanks and would never go back to glass.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com