Tank safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need to bomb my apartment for insects. I live across from a woodsy area. I have 7 tanks. My grandma also needs to treat her house and she has 3 tanks. What is the best and safest way to bomb/fog with aquariums?

I would think if you completely sealed off the tanks with plastic (cling wrap maybe?) and tape they would be fine. Making sure all air pumps and filters are off so not to pump toxic air into the tanks. Then you'd have to make sure nothing got into the tanks when removing the plastic. Maybe even lower to water level so their is more oxygen sealed in the top of the tanks.

Mumma.of.two said:
I would think if you completely sealed off the tanks with plastic (cling wrap maybe?) and tape they would be fine. Making sure all air pumps and filters are off so not to pump toxic air into the tanks. Then you'd have to make sure nothing got into the tanks when removing the plastic. Maybe even lower to water level so their is more oxygen sealed in the top of the tanks.

Just keep everything off for how long? Air stones needed?

Flossie said:
Just keep everything off for how long? Air stones needed?

I would think a few hours until the air has cleared (can't smell it anymore) in the house. You don't want to use air stones because the pumps suck in air from the surrounding room and pump it into the tank. The air around the tank in the room is going to be toxic!

I had to bomb my apartment way back when. I bought some plastic and duct taped the tanks up. I left the filters running, just taped in. Another thing you could do if the temp outside is mid 70's or higher is run two air lines out a window... one hooked to an air pump, the other left hanging there to allow air to escape.

I kept mine covered over night while we stayed with my parents... stupid dog.

I bombed my house 2 weeks ago.. I shut off all the lights, air pumps, filter ..Everything
then put a plastic picnic table cloth over my 2 smaller tanks and some window wheather plastic draped over my tanks I made sure the bottom on the plastic was lower than the level I was going to set off the bomb. because it shoots straight up then settles I didn't tape mine or anything.. left the house sealed up for 4 hours like recommended. came back aired it out for 30 mins... removed the tank covers. then waited another 30 mins to turn everything. back on.... everything went smoothly :)

Mumma.of.two said:
I would think a few hours until the air has cleared (can't smell it anymore) in the house. You don't want to use air stones because the pumps suck in air from the surrounding room and pump it into the tank. The air around the tank in the room is going to be toxic!

Ok I was just worried about their air supply . Thanks for the advice!

Thank u guys! So basically shut the tanks down... Tape them up....(around the tank and filters... Give it some time to settle and we're good?

Back
Top Bottom