Tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I going to take the next big step and go for a 75 gallon freshwater setup. I was at my usual fish shop today and saw a beautiful marineland 76 gallon setup with stand and a couple other things for $750. Do they make 76 gallon tanks? I tried to find marineland products online but their website is a little obscure. Is this a good price?

I personally wouldn't pay that much for a tank, altogether my 55 setup cost about 250$, including EVERYTHING involved with the setup, cycle, and fish/decor/plants.
The main thing is the stand that's jacking the price up so much. If you don't need a stand you can set up your own for much cheaper. But if you do want a proper stand this could be an okay deal.. what "other things" come with it?

Not much, 75 lbs of gravel, heater, penguin bio. net and maybe some insignificant stuff. Gravel does not matter as I am going for a biotope tank, I would also exchange penguin for emperor filter. I am concerned with proper stand. I know I can get tank for cheaper but what about stand?

Most stands and tanks are sold as sets, so you could just browse around and see if you can find a better combo deal. Unless you have some kind of furniture at home that could support the weight of a 75g.

You could also build your stand, you can definitely find a whole setup for less than that. If you want a fancy, finished looking stand you can probably still find cheaper than that.

Tomorrow I'm buying a used 75 complete setup for $300. I got my 90 complete setup for $250. If you buy new, you're going to pay for it.

$750 is ridiculous.

definitely agree with the above.
You could ask around the DIY forums if you wanted to go that route, I'm sure they'd be happy to help. :>

WOW! I had no idea how much more I could have overpaid. I know why the guy at my local shop was being so nice. Can you guys give me any tips on where to look for combo sets? I have looked online and really didn't have much luck. I looked for Marineland tanks but could not find much. My heart isn't set on that brand though. Thanks to all.

Check craigslist. You can find some great deals from people who are moving and just want to get rid of it.

Personally, I'd go new with aquariums. The price of having a problem with an old aquarium, with a weak seam or leaking problem is not worth it to me. Give me the new tank, and give me the warranty.

That said, that price is high. I have a Marineland aquarium (60 gallons) with stand and it cost us 250 dollars. Granted, it was on sale from its usual price of 350 dollars...but still, that's nowhere near 750 dollars. A 75 gallon should not be that expensive.

buying a used tank is like buying a used car. There's a possibility something might go wrong. A good inspection is usually enough. I have bought dozens of used tanks and have never had one fail on me. I've had to redo the seams on a few of them, but that was reflected in the price.

if you've got the money to spend, go buy a new tank. After all, we need people to buy new tanks so we can buy them used :)

Back
Top Bottom