tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have three angels, three dwarf gouramis and three corys in a 20 long right now. I want to move them to a bigger tank in the next few months. I was thinking 55. Would 46 or 50 gallons be enough for the angels as they get larger. I also want to add more fish and maybe some plants. Any opinons on a suitable tanksize? Would a 40 gallon be enough?

I would personally opt for the 55 gal tank. They are not much more expensive than the 46. It would allow you to add more fish in the long run.

IMO, if you have enough room for the 55, a 75 gal comes with the same footprint but gives you an additional 5", which I'm sure you can use. :)

If that isn't an option, go with the 55 as rectangular tanks are better suited for plants than bowfronts or hex's.

i would go bigger but that all depends on your pockets.. but i would recomend you still keep the 20 long running just in case you have problems if the angels decide they want to breed..you dont have to keep it full of water per say.. you can let the filter run on your 55, beleive me if you need to ever use it, it will come in handy :wink: you dont have any aggresion problems with the dwarf gourami's?

Acer- Somewhat surprisingly, no. They get a long pretty well. My gouramis are extremely peaceful.. they'll nip at eachother lightly once in a while. Other than that they don't bother themselves or others. And they never fight over food with the angels or anything...

About the 75. I would love to have that. How much more expensive are they though? And if I wanted to plant the tank, would lights cost me a fortune? Also, I'm fairly new to this aquarium thing still, and as for changing water, how do you change for such a large tank..? I wouldn't imagine carrying buckets and buckets of water every other week is a common practice?

you can get a Python.. i have looked at them, but like all good things in our hobby, they are a little on the expensive side, they are about 50-65 bucks..

Python's are the best for the large scale water changes. It was the best $$ I spent on anything for my aquarium. But, you have to be near a sink with good pressure to use it.
I had to do some creative plumbing to hook mine up to a shower because the Mrs has to have a bowl sink with a pitcher faucet.

If you want to buy the Python cheaper, go to Wal-Mart in the fish department. They have an off brand one that is the same thing made by Lee's Aquarium. That's the one that I have and it works great. Big Al's also sells it for $22 plus shipping.

A lot of people have posted that walmart has cheap aquariums and supplies... I went to the walmart in town today and they didn't really have much to offer. Should I be going to a bigger one or looking at a catalog or something? They barely had tanks and filters at the one I went to.

Don't buy equipment from Wal-Mart. It tends to not be of the highest quality. I buy all of our equipment from www.bigalsonline.com for a fraction of the cost compared to the lfs, even with shipping.

The largest tank that I have seen at Wal-Mart is the 55 gal kit. Try just buying the tank from the lfs. When you only by the tank it tends to be cheaper. You could buy a stand from Wal-Mart (normally cheaper than the lfs, but you have to put it together). If you buy the kit, you'll probably have to upgrade filters and heaters. So it's normally cheaper to just buy it in pieces. Especially if you buy from Big Al's.

Back
Top Bottom