Tank size upgrade20 h to 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin83

Aquarium Advice Activist
i currently have a established 20 gal high with plants, fish and shrimp, thinking of upgrading to a 55 gal .. i know i am going to have to get a bigger filter and and air pump.. as far as the filter goes would a multi stage canister filter be a better choice than a HOB. thinking of a home made florescent like probably to 48" T-8 lights. have enough extra gravel from the bags i have from the 20 gal .. and plants to move over .. but how to get rid of the snails.. darn things are a pain.. pond snails i think there eating everything ive herd that you can soak the plants in a soapy water solution to kill them off will that work and if it will how much soap should i use ..s . and if i use one of the PWC to get the new tank started and some media from the old tank how do i keep the nematodes and the snail from coming over to the new tank

thanks for any advice

You will have to disinfect your plants before moving them to get rid of any snails or eggs & this is not even a 100% guarentee. Do not use soap if you want to put these plants in your new tank. You can dip your plants in 5% bleach solution or a potassium permagnate bath then rinse them in dechlorinated water.

In respect to your filter media, there isnt a way to effective remove snails/nematodes without affecting your bacteria. I would just physically remove any snails/eggs/nematodes you see. Or you can skip the media & cycle your new tank from scratch (snail-free). Do some searching on here for other ideas on how to effectively remove snails/nematodes- you may find some other options. Good luck!

I personally would probably start over :( That sounds like a pickle of trouble. You can then keep the 20 gallon as a QT tank for the future.

Also - most 55 gallons are long but very narrow. Not a lot of space for a fishy to turn around. So if you plan on getting big fish, choose a different dimension. Even just a 60 gallon will give you 6 more inches.

I don't have a whole lot of room to begin with.. Ha ha that's why I figured a 55 would be good .I was hoping to be able to use everything out of my old tank but I guess I wool have to start over..
Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom