Tank smells bad as of today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K so today was my big fish day and I made a lot of changes. I went to petco and bought 6 ghost shrimp, more gravel, algae wafers, a piece of driftwood, and a java fern. I knew the outcomes of something bad happening were pretty high but I did it with caution

This is what I did today:

First I acclimated my ghost shrimp then added a bit more gravel to my 1 and 10 gallon tanks. After my shrimp were acclimated, I scooped 3 and put them in my empty 1 gallon tank so I had 3 ghost shrimp for each tank. Then I added a rock (cleaned, no soap lol) to my 10 gallon. After that I tied a flat rock to my new driftwood and put it in a bucket filled with water so the driftwood would soak, causing it to sink. But before that I accidentally put the wood in the 1 gallon so little chips and wood stuff went in the tank (I had rinsed off the wood before that but not thoroughly.) Next I fed both tanks my new algae wafers. I put one wafer in each tank. They were both happily devoured by my ghost shrimp and my snails.

Then I rapped a rubber band around my new fern and my new driftwood and added it to the 10 gallon. Just then I realized my 1 gallon was a bit cloudy so I decided to do a 25% water change and as I lifted the lid a horrible smell hit me. It smelled exactly like my turtle water (back when I had turtles when I was really little) so I did a big water change (about 35%) and its still cloudy and still smells awful.

I just changed my 1 gallons's filter cartridge the other day so it can't be the filter, so it has to be from something I did today. Please help! Thanks.

Also my platy in my 10 gallon is really pregnant and I'm wondering when is a good time to move her to the 1 gallon so she can have her fry? I'm just worried if I can get the tank less cloudy in there before I have to put her fry in that tank. Should I take out the remaining algae wafer bits that the ghost shrimp left out?

that sounds like your problem to much food for so little water,,,i would worry about the ghost shrimp eating your fry they tend to attack my fish when i put them in the tank....but then again if there trying to eat me im fighting back

Could it possibly be a dead snail? They smell wretched when they die.

Jconner3 said:
Could it possibly be a dead snail? They smell wretched when they die.

My snails are fine and healthy. I'm watching my mystery snail take laps around his new java moss right now

Literally seconds after I wrote this reply I found a baby platy in my 10 gallon! I hope the platys didn't eat their children but I don't know what to do! I can't find him anymore he's hiding in the plant

Wait so if it's the algae wafer does that mean I brought the ammonia up? I just did another 30% water change still cloudy and smelly

Algae wafers cause an ammonia spike if left in the water for longer than the feeding period.

I don't have an answer for the smell. I drop algae wafers for my snails & CAE's & have never experienced any smell. In my 46g I sometimes drop 5 or 6, my 2 10g tanks each get 1 or 2. That bad of a smell, to me, is very odd.

Back
Top Bottom