Tank smells odd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Like ... That smell the garbage disposal gets?

Just all of a sudden. Nothing has changed. Everyone is alive, water parameters are fine. The tank is 4 months old and the community in it about 18 months.

I thought a few weeks ago there was NTD but nobody has died and the one with an opaque body is recovering.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

How often do you water change?

Adding some carbon to filter media may help.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check and wipe edges and under inside rim of the tank, often the food gets stuck around there and stinks.

Bet that's it. I started feeding at the front instead of the HOB output. And it does smell like a food smell not a fish smell.

Regular 50% changes and the carbon is pretty new.

Check and wipe edges and under inside rim of the tank, often the food gets stuck around there and stinks.

Yep! It smells gnarly.. head scratcher for sure if you can't really see it at first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very. I checked the top edge for food but not under.

You have to use a siphon to drain at least 50% and remove uneaten food, try not to over feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You have to use a siphon to drain at least 50% and remove uneaten food, try not to over feed.

I'm definitely not over feeding. There's no food on the "floor" and I'm feeding the same food and same quantity I have for 18 months. The tank doesn't even support many MTS, there's so little uneaten food.

It's just that I was feeding in the front corner in still water not the back at the HOB output. I use .5mm NLS pellets. I wiped it off where I could see it but some must have floated under the rim. Only takes a few specks!!

Clear water?

Yes. And the smell is gone. The water always smelled fine (ie if I put some on my hand, when it dried my hand smelled fine) so I think it was a very small spot of food under the rim at nose level (tall tank tall stand).

Back
Top Bottom