tank split a seam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
one of my 30 gallon tanks blew a seam last night. I found it this morning with the HOB filter making not so good noises. All I could do was clamp the glass to keep the remaining water from leaking out and unplug everything. I was already going to be late for work as it was. I got home and put the 3 fish I have in there in a rubbermaid and got a heater and filter running in there. I think they will be ok. at least I hope so.

The thing is that this has happened to this tank before. I will be getting a new one. I will also be fixing this one. But this time I will get a cheap clamp and leave it on there for eternity.

When I read things like this I am put into a panic for days after. Inspecting my seams, looking for cracks :lol: Did you end up with much water on the floor?

Hate to wake up to that! I'd probably be stressed all day at work thinking about the tank. At least you were able to salvage the fish.

How are you planning on clamping the sides? You'll have to be careful that you are not transferring the pressure unevenly to another side or even along that same seam.

When my 65 decided to do the same last fall, it did so very early morning, too...duct tape got me through the crisis....I simply replaced my tank.

yeah I lost about 2o gallons on the floor. Its in a basement and just pooled on the concrete. No real damage.

Ive resealed a few tanks and never had one burst on me before.. I resealed them
because they were leaking not busted. Do you remember what you used to seal it last?
:? :? :?

I sure hope this does not occur often. By my calculations, if my 70 gallon blows out, the room will be under about 1/2" of water. That may cause my wife to get rid of all the tanks.

Sorry about your dilema. Good luck.

dnaelting...The ones Ive worked on were 20+ years old.. If your 70gallon is under 15 years old I wouldnt worry about it to be honest with you.. Unless of course you think its a cheaply made tank?

Hello. can anyone say what the best thing is to repair a tank. :? I haven't had it happen to me yet but would love to know what I should keep on hand just in case it does.

Seam-splitting is rare....in 30+ years of keeping probably 1500+ aquariums, I have had it happen twice.

Repairing a seam-split would require re-sealing at least one full side of the tank, and an aquarium-manufacture grade pure silicone from GE is what you want.

I can say I havnt seen it happen and I have used some pretty freaking old aquariums, yes I had one of the slate bottom ones! it was a 10 gallon if I remember right....
I cant say however that ive kept 1500+ aquariums though.. more like 20 aquariums.. In more like 16 years..LOL

I built my first tank in about 1967, and it is still in use today. I resealed it about 10 years ago, only because I was fixing a leaker, and wanted to use up the silicone. It has never leaked.

mine split only because the top bracket is broken. it is cracked all the way through on the corner. silicone alone will not hold back all the water. I need to replace the bracket . I intend on doing that with some cheap clamps and keeping it as an emergency/quarantine tank.

The replacement trim can be ordered from the tank manufacturer xander.. its a bit of a pain to replace but would make the tank good as new once completed.. :mrgreen:

I think I'll just stick with the cheap clamp idea. that way I only have to but 1 seam back together. good to know though

lets just be happy it didnt blow when you had it full of like 10 or more fish...it was only a few and it wasnt upstairs or anything.....just get it fixed right away...good luck on the clamping :D

The new trim costs little.. like 15 bucks for the trim for a 55.. im sure it wouldnt be that much..
but If you want to go the cheap clamp way that should work.. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom