tank/stand recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 10g hex now and i'm itching to upgrade and just to use the 10g as a qt.... would to best and cheapest way for me to get a tank just to go to petco or something and buy a kit there? or are there online places that sell tank/stands as well? what size would you recommend me going up to? i was looking around 30-40g, thanks!

i would first ask around to co workers and friends.. maybe somebody wants to get rid of an old set up.. thats how i can across my 55 gal.. sometimesthe peopleyou would least expect might know someone.. also might want to check craigslist.com in your state ( area) maybe someone has a good lookin setup with stand..

If you have a local paper like "Bargain Trader" or something like that, usually sells at 7-11 or other convenience stores and is nothing but classified ads, you can almost always find a tank or two for cheap there. I have vowed never to buy a new tank again, after scoring some really great deals from disgruntled aquarists who have convenient amnesia about how much they paid for their setups. Usually they are so anxious to get rid of the tank that is collecting dust (reminding them of how they failed as a fishkeeper) that they will part with the entire setup for a fraction of what they paid.

yea, i see someone listing a 65g tank and stand in classified for 150 dollars! to me i think that's a great deal i'm waiting for them to contact me back.

TankGirl said:
If you have a local paper like "Bargain Trader" or something like that, usually sells at 7-11 or other convenience stores and is nothing but classified ads, you can almost always find a tank or two for cheap there. I have vowed never to buy a new tank again, after scoring some really great deals from disgruntled aquarists who have convenient amnesia about how much they paid for their setups. Usually they are so anxious to get rid of the tank that is collecting dust (reminding them of how they failed as a fishkeeper) that they will part with the entire setup for a fraction of what they paid.

I got a 55 gal, with stand, canopy, filter for $75 from an ad I saw in a similar paper here called "Trading Post." My wife gets suspicious every time I walk in with one of those papers.

damnit! i wanna find one of these papers and have a tank upgrade! I need some sort of enjoyable enviroment while @ home cause i'm in college and i'm stuck there always studying.. .-sigh- [electrical engineering major] hahaha... might as well havea nice tank around and my 10g isn't cutting it anymore, thanks for the tips guys!

75g tank cost?

i found a 75 gallong tank that someone is selling for 100 dollars the measurement is 48" x 18" x 21"

What would the price be of setting up this tank? as in equipment and stuff, i think i'll still keep this FW. I need a price range that includes all the pumps, the stand and things, someone give me an estimate? i've never had experience with something this big.

Depending on how fancy you get with your equipment, you could easily spend $500 or more to round out the setup. I don't think you will be able to spend under $100 for a filter for a tank this size (maybe just under), and your stand will cost, at minimum $150 for an inexpensive one, plus lighting, substrate and decorations, unless you just collect rocks and driftwood yourself.

I'd consider holding out for someone selling a complete setup, which is where your real savings comes in, since the tank itself is often not the most expensive item.

I agree with TG, hold out for tank, stand, lights set up. You can save big $$$ that way. Buying the stand and lights separately after you get the tank can run some big bucks.

Since I happen to have a standard 75 gal, I know that you can easily spend over $650 if you don't hunt down bargains.

In the paper here there's a 90G, with all accessories, stand, hood, 2 fluval 404 filters, and more, for 400.00. Wish I had the money. Check out your classifieds, might find something. Or try Walmart before you go to the LFS, as they have inexpensive kits.

Back
Top Bottom