Tank stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
Weird question for everyone. I need to purchase a stand for my 75 gal tank. What's the difference between the stands that are sold at petsmart or lfs and a stand I find at a dept store for half the price? Basically are the wood stands at petsmart rated for a certain weight and made differently?

The stands at the LFS or pet smart are designed to handle the weight of the tank. The rule of thumb is that each gallon of water that your tank is rated for is equal to roughly 10 pounds. Do you really want to trust over 700 pounds on top of something that was designed to hold a TV?

That said, I added some extra 2x4's for support around my dresser, and anchored it to the studs in my wall and it now holds my 75gal and I don't worry about it. I had myself and my two brothers stand on top of the unit and wiggle around to test the weight before putting the tank on it. We each weigh around 200 lbs.

Thanks for the advice, I don't mind spending that much I just wanted to make sure that there was a really good reason to

Different tools for different jobs different cabs for different jobs

Or would you use a wire brush to brush your teeth

For me it always depended on the size of the tank, or who built the stand. What scares me about some of the stands I've seen is the ones that aren't solid wood, I don't trust particle board after it gets wet, which is going to happen eventually.

I've always had wooden stands that came with my tanks, not sure how warranty works in the US but my warranty states if I use a stand that didn't come with my tank and it falls or cracks, I'm not covered so I'd be aware of anything like that if your tank came with a warranty.

I found an old rusty, welded iron stand at a tag sale--must have been from the seventies. Cleaned it up and repainted; very sturdy and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom