Tank sterilisation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There is a slight prob in my mum's tanks.

We have an existing 5g Betta community setup. We bought a 10g tank and have decided to do fishless cycling.

To kick start it we put the gunk and old water from the 5g tank when gravel cleaning into the 10g as an ammonia and good bacteria source. Then we took one sponge filter from the 5g and also put it in the 10g tank to start the bacteria colony.

soon after, the 5g betta community developed velvet. The 10g cycling tank has the old sponge filter in it, so does that mean that there is velvet in the cycling tank? Is there anyway to sterilise the tank or do we have to tear down the tanka nd start the cycle again? Would we have to throw out the sponge filters in it?

Velvet is very deadly and pretty much immune to any meds once they imbed themselves inside the fish. Are you sure what you are seeing is velvet and not ich? These two do look similar.

I would say that you stressed out your fish in the 5 gallon when you removed everything to put into the 10 gallon. How many do you have in the 5 gallon prior to removing everything?

What were your water parameters before and then after? Do you currently have any fish in the 10 gallon?

weather its velvit or ich, i would go ahead and break down your new setup and sterilize it with bleach and then rinse everything in dechlorinated water. Then i would fishless cycle with an ammonia source befor adding fish to the 10 gallon

HTH

We only took out one of two sponge filters. And when we did gravel vacuum on 5g, instead of chucking the dirty water on the grass, we stuck into the 10g.

I believe that we will have to tear the10g down and bleach it all,and throw out the sponges, but mum just wanted to know her alternatives

I personally don't think you need to breakdown your 10 gallon. I believe that they caught the disease after all was said and done. If they had it prior, you would have noticed.

indeed, continue fishless cycling the 10gallon, with the sponge. If it's ich, there won't be any fish for the ich to attach to, and it will die.

I know less about velvet, but parasite or bacteria/virus...it should still die off if the tank is left fallow for 4 weeks.

well if you are going to continue to cycle, at least raise your temp to about 86 to help kill off anything, especially if its ICH

You can certainly take the added percaution and raise your temp, but also keep in mind that by doing so, you are depleting the O2 for your fish.

Add an airstone for additional aeration in your tank and drop the level of your water if you have a HOB. This will help with the O2 and help with your bacterial growth as well.

I know its velvet.... (long story)

So if the fishless tank did have velvet, could i still continue cycling it

Yes, you can still continue with your fishless cycle. Velvet can live for several days without a host, but since you are going fishless, the disease should disappear by the time the cycling is complete.

To aid in the growth of bacteria and as an added percaution, I suggest you raise the temp up 84. Remember to add additional aeration too.

FawnN said:
You can certainly take the added percaution and raise your temp, but also keep in mind that by doing so, you are depleting the O2 for your fish.

Add an airstone for additional aeration in your tank and drop the level of your water if you have a HOB. This will help with the O2 and help with your bacterial growth as well.

well if she is fishless cycling she doesn't really have to worry about the 02 as much since she doesn't have fish yet... :wink:

Oops, my mistake. I was thinking fishless, but typing as if you were cycling wtih fish. :oops:

What I meant to say was:

O2 is very important during a fishless cycle. By adding additional aeration you are providing O2 for your beneficial bacteria to grow. High levels of ammonia without the O2, your bacteria will eventually all die off.

Back
Top Bottom