Tank stocking/tiger barbs/Featherfin Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue_Jay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 35gal bow front begging to be set up. It's a ways off but I am already planning.

Here's the thing. I was planning to do a all or mostly tiger barb tank (with some greens and albinos too). However I recently discovered that what I thought to be a regular upside-down catfish (in my 25gal community) is actually a featherfin catfish. Points to petstore labeling. However, I find it hard to be upset with such a beautiful fish. Big size difference tho.

So the featherfin will go in the 35gal once set up. My question is, will the tiger barbs be a good fit with him?? He's a big boy now, about 6 inches from nose to tail tip.

My other option would be to move everyone from the 25 to the 35 including the catfish. And make the 25 my barb tank... I hate stressing the community with such a big move tho...

Featherfin is currently in the 25gal with:
1 Emerald Cory
8 Bloodfin tetras
1 Balloon Molly
3 Nerite snails

I believe your Feather Fin synodontis catfish will be fine in the larger tank full of tiger barbs. The barbs likely will not fin nip the catfish and the catfish seems to get along with your much more fragile fish in the smaller tank. No reason to believe he won't do well with the barbs. A large grouping of tiger barbs with the various color morphs make for a nice looking display tank.

I believe your Feather Fin synodontis catfish will be fine in the larger tank full of tiger barbs. The barbs likely will not fin nip the catfish and the catfish seems to get along with your much more fragile fish in the smaller tank. No reason to believe he won't do well with the barbs. A large grouping of tiger barbs with the various color morphs make for a nice looking display tank.

Thank you V227. Follow up question if you don't mind... does it matter who I add first? Would either species benefit from being able to settle into the tank prior to their "new roommates"?

I don't believe stocking barbs and catfish compare to stocking cichlids. What ever you decide I'm sure will work. I had a tiger barb display like you are planing several years ago in a 65 gal. My favorite barb type was a solid green tiger barb male it had a large red nose and Red trim on its fins. Truly a beautiful fish. I didn't follow the stocking rules very well. The males are more colorful and active so I ended up with more males than females. Didn't seem to bother the barbs. Be selective when it's time to buy. Hand pick everyone of them.

Back
Top Bottom