Tank switcharoo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, this is a first for me. . .
I'm gonna be switching my 20 gallon tank out to a 29 gallon, for more height. The current setup is pictured HERE, and most importantly houses my 2 blue rams. I am mostly concerned with keeping them happy.

The new 29 gallon tank will have a sandy substrate in front (pool filter sand), with flourite in the back. I plan on washing both thoroughly, to minimize the dusty water.

Any special advice on how to do this so that my rams don't get too stressed? I'm mostly concerned with the flourite clouding the water and stressing rams. should I hook up my canister to the tank for a while after the setup?

I can't see your pictures for some reason. Am I right in assuming that you will be using the same canister and heater from the 20 gallon for the 29 gallon? If you aren't using the same heater and filter then the process will be easier. You can just set it up and seed the tank with your 20 G filter bag, media, whatever.
If you are then I would recommend setting the 29 up with the canister and heater all at once and using the media from the filter to let the new tank cycle since Rams are very susceptible to water quality problems. It's going to be much tougher if you're reusing the canister and heater though.
Definitely thouroughly wash everything. When I added my sand I had to rewash it again after I thought it was done because it was so cloudy when I got it in the tank. Let it settle awhile after you add water and see how it looks before switching over the filter and heater.

Back
Top Bottom